Good to put zoanthids, or any type of coral

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a uv light, and just wondering if I could put any kind of coral in. It's a 20 gallon all nitrates and nitrites etc is good. I have had fish for 5 weeks now, a emrald crab, and a coral banded shrimp. There's been water in the tank for 2 months but fish in there for 1 of those months.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a uv light, and just wondering if I could put any kind of coral in. It's a 20 gallon all nitrates and nitrites etc is good. I have had fish for 5 weeks now, a emrald crab, and a coral banded shrimp. There's been water in the tank for 2 months but fish in there for 1 of those months.
Definitely need more info on the light. It’s absolutely critical for success. Also you will need to know your phosphate, calcium and alkalinity levels at a minimum. These parameters are equally essential.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely need more info on the light. It’s absolutely critical for success. Also you will need to know your phosphate, calcium and alkalinity levels at a minimum. These parameters are equally essential.
No, they are the weeds of the ocean.
Don't worry about your calcium or alk yet IMO. None of those soft corals listed use or care about your calcium or alkalinity. And don't get discouraged if the xenia doesn't immediately do well. Xenia likes dirty water and explodes in population in dirty water, but it's sold as a beginner coral. Beginner early on tanks are usually very very low nutrient, so xenia doesn't always do well.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, are they photosynthetic only need light no coral food.
If you are talking about xenia, I believe they  can  eat food, but there's no need to if they are given proper water parameters, and lighting.

If you are referring to coral in general, most benefit from feedings, but this really depends on the coral type.

NPS, (non-photosynthetic) corals, as the name says, do not do photosynthesis, in fact all corals don't do photosynthesis - more on that later. NPS corals can only get food through predation.

As I said before, no coral is photosynthetic, but instead they form a symbiotic relation ship with an algae called zooxanthellae. This algae is microscopic, and you can find it in multiple invertebrates. The coral provides the zooxanthellae with a safe place to live, and the zooxanthellae provides the coral with byproducts of photosynthesis.

Zooxanthellae are a huge part of coral survival, so this is why it is absolutely  neccesary  to have proper lighting in your tank.

OP
OP
Ghostyboythedog

Ghostyboythedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, are they photosynthetic only need light no coral food.

If you are talking about xenia, I believe they  can  eat food, but there's no need to if they are given proper water parameters, and lighting.

If you are referring to coral in general, most benefit from feedings, but this really depends on the coral type.

NPS, (non-photosynthetic) corals, as the name says, do not do photosynthesis, in fact all corals don't do photosynthesis - more on that later. NPS corals can only get food through predation.

As I said before, no coral is photosynthetic, but instead they form a symbiotic relation ship with an algae called zooxanthellae. This algae is microscopic, and you can find it in multiple invertebrates. The coral provides the zooxanthellae with a safe place to live, and the zooxanthellae provides the coral with byproducts of photosynthesis.

Zooxanthellae are a huge part of coral survival, so this is why it is absolutely  neccesary  to have proper lighting in your tank.
Thank you

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leathers are a great choice. My pick would be mushroom leathers, not that I have any bias lol
IMG_3119.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi,
What type of light and spectrums? Many low wattage lights will not support corals

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back