Goodbye Filter Socks

William Glazer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your viewing pleasure.

This first video & picture is my DIY filter cups on my 100g Cadlights Artisan II tank that I made from some cups I had and some old filter socks. I simply removed the painted part on the outside by sanding, used a dremal for the holes in the bottom, and added filter floss in the cup.

Filter Cup.jpg

This second video & picture is my DIY filter container. I had more room at the overflow due to I custom built this sump to fit my needs. This is on my low boy frag tank and provides me more room to put various filter media. It was a container from Dollar General for items like flour. The key for this one was to have a lid that would snap open and closed to remove/replace filter floss or other media you would add.

Goodbye Filter Sock.jpg

Both work great and by using filter floss and filter pads I am not stuck having to wash out or replace filter socks. Simiply remove the media and replace. Quick, Easy, Cost Efficient.

Btw, I hate filter socks w/ a passion! lol

GrouperStupor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool. Yeah, the markup on filter cups is something else.

I'm also setting up a cad 100g and not using filter socks. I'm using all glass parts and didnt want to drill the holes for socks. I'm using felt pushed between 2 baffles with a piece of coarse mesh. The sump is wide so I end up with a good bit more surface area than socks.

Big al's has some cheap floss btw. Let me know if you have a better source.
https://www.bigalspets.com/nsearch/?q=Floss

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back