Google isn't helping

  • Thread starter Thread starter vinnnocc
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

vinnnocc

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 11, 2014
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
west haven,CT
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are these tube like things on all my rocks,corals,pumps. started with about 5. now have over 50+. if there grow on a zoa frag plug the zoas won't open. are the bad? easy way to kill them? or just let them be?
image.jpg
image.jpg

yes that is a very bad candy cane. with a ton on it
 
Vermetid snails. They put out a web of sorts that I've noticed has bothered some zoas in the past, kept them from opening completely. I broke off the tip and they were fine again. Other than that I don't think they are harmful, I have a bunch in my tank.
 
As for removal people have had scattered success with a few methods. Aptasia X, cutting them off at the base, emerald crabs, putting a dab of super glue over the opening. I'm sure there are other options I did not mention as well.
 
Definitely vermatid snails. Mostly harmless unless they start growing in outbreak proportions. You can either break them off with tweezers or put a dab of super glue on the end of it to close off the tube. Whatever you do don't try to break them off with your bare hands.
 
IME they sort of die away over time... I wouldn't do anything crazy to try to get rid of them, In most cases.
 
thanks all. just after i posted this i found them on a Google picture.

I went and killed/broke as many as I could get at today. im gonna remove them with my weekly water changes just to keep on top of them
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 9.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new