Gorgonian seems to be shedding

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!,

This is my first gorgonian, I got it a few days ago. It seems to be shedding today? And these rigid little bumps are showing on its arms. This one is photosynthetic I was told, any tips would be appreciated.

Alk 9.2
Cal 440
Mag 1380
Nitrate 5
Phos 0.06
12476A92-E975-48DB-B88A-40F34C966284.jpeg

Pic when I first got it
B851E666-3F0E-4C35-A009-5090D722559E.jpeg

Thank you for taking the time to read my issue, suggestions are appreciated!

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, mine do the same. It's how they get rid of algae that is building up on their skin. Sometimes I can't stand looking at it and use a soft toothbrush to "gently" move the process along.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See what you started. Right now, I'm up to my elbows "toothbrushing" my gorgs. LOL :D
Lol ok well that’s good news they aren’t dying. Thank you for the intel!

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have gorgs running wild. Was this by chance out of water for a brief moment when unbagging??
Salinity plays a role as does good water movement. Salinity range 1.025-1.027

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have gorgs running wild. Was this by chance out of water for a brief moment when unbagging??
Salinity plays a role as does good water movement. Salinity range 1.025-1.027
Yea, only the bottom half inch when I was applying the glue to the base.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yea when I was applying the glue to the base.
Gorgs HAVE TO remain wet and immersed. Once out of water, survival rate is 10% or less. Even unbagging has to be done under water. same applies to sponge

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgs HAVE TO remain wet and immersed. Once out of water, survival rate is 10% or less. Even unbagging has to be done under water. same applies to sponge
I had no idea :(. Well I know for the future and to help educate others. It does seem to look fairly healthy underneath what has shedded off. Polyps are now out on the ridges, it’s a much cooler/more interesting coral than I originally thought for sure! I hope I’m the 10%!

Last edited:

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to argue but ive had one sea whip and sea blade like the ops come in completely dry and made it just fine...
Same here. Standard run of the mill brown photosynthetic gorg from the caribbean. I've had it out of the water several times over the years and it is healthy as can be, never showed any sign of stress.
This is not to say it is a good idea, simply my personal experience as I was not aware of the potential problem

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are 90% right about sponges, almost all of them are condemned to a slow death (potentially over a couple of months) if they are removed from the water for even a few seconds. But there are a few that can survive that short exposure. I'm not sure your info about gorgonians being out of the water is absolutely true. Here is why I say that:

I collect gorgonians in the Florida Keys when we go snorkeling. I've lifted them out of the water to look for things on the coral that I either want, like a Flamingo Tongue, or don't want, like a clump of slimy algae. And then it's out of the water again when I load it into the container on our boat, again when it gets put in storage back at our motel and yet again when it gets home and put in the reef tank. Now all of these are relatively short exposures to the air, probably 30 seconds or so.

However, I also occasionally collect a gorgonian off the beach along the Gulf of Mexico and these have been exposed to air (and in some cases air in the 40 to 50 degree range, for 1 to 4 hours! Seriously. And my success rate with them surviving is better than 90%. Here is one I collected during a beach walk on a cold winter morning. It did just fine in my tank and it got sold along with a 120g tank and other corals about 2 years after we collected it.

P1180104.JPG

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was in the pet industry and it was always a warning. I have never let them out of water and perhaps a coincidence but their little polyps are sensitive and I keep them wet as an assurance.
This rules applies not to the gorgonian but their mucus film on their stems.

OP
OP
Hemmdog

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are 90% right about sponges, almost all of them are condemned to a slow death (potentially over a couple of months) if they are removed from the water for even a few seconds. But there are a few that can survive that short exposure. I'm not sure your info about gorgonians being out of the water is absolutely true. Here is why I say that:

I collect gorgonians in the Florida Keys when we go snorkeling. I've lifted them out of the water to look for things on the coral that I either want, like a Flamingo Tongue, or don't want, like a clump of slimy algae. And then it's out of the water again when I load it into the container on our boat, again when it gets put in storage back at our motel and yet again when it gets home and put in the reef tank. Now all of these are relatively short exposures to the air, probably 30 seconds or so.

However, I also occasionally collect a gorgonian off the beach along the Gulf of Mexico and these have been exposed to air (and in some cases air in the 40 to 50 degree range, for 1 to 4 hours! Seriously. And my success rate with them surviving is better than 90%. Here is one I collected during a beach walk on a cold winter morning. It did just fine in my tank and it got sold along with a 120g tank and other corals about 2 years after we collected it.

P1180104.JPG
Wow that is beautiful!

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here. Standard run of the mill brown photosynthetic gorg from the caribbean. I've had it out of the water several times over the years and it is healthy as can be, never showed any sign of stress.
This is not to say it is a good idea, simply my personal experience as I was not aware of the potential problem
This has been my experience with 3 different gorgs also.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Not true.. I have about 12 + different gorgonia and they come out of the water plenty when I frag or add to another tank.

Sponges on the other hand there are some varieties that can not come out of water or air gets trapped in them but it is not all sponges either. I also grow sponges some of them have no issues out of the water.

This is one of my sponges that do just fine being removed from the water..

upload_2018-12-17_13-4-53-png.920703

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Not true.. I have about 12 + different gorgonia and they come out of the water plenty when I frag or add to another tank.

Sponges on the other hand there are some varieties that can not come out of water or air gets trapped in them but it is not all sponges either. I also grow sponges some of them have no issues out of the water.

This is one of my sponges that do just fine being removed from the water..

upload_2018-12-17_13-4-53-png.920703

Ok- from suppliers and wholesalers- always been a warning due to Mucus film that protects them. Hmmmm.
Sheboygan here. I see you are waukesha

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 8.5%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 35 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 133 66.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.0%
Back