Gorilla Glue

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not the CA glue, but the original one, but the clear version, probably not reef safe? (The last two are from the leak seal putty)
Screenshot_20240408-193258.png
Screenshot_20240408-193353.png
Screenshot_20240408-193805.png
Screenshot_20240408-193233.png

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why risk it when you can find regular CA glue at any store?
Home Depot, lowes, Walmart, target like everywhere has some kind of CA glue

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
big bottle's cheaper. I usually go with the 15g one, but now I want to glue rocks, so I need a bunch of glue. I'm not risking it now, that's why I went digging for the info.

I am curious if the data is before it's cured. but there seems to be the part that talks about degradation which cools me even more.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Original Gorilla Glue is single component polyurethane. When dried it will be inert and presumably reef safe. The raw glue however is not likely reef safe (or human for that matter).

Wet, it will react with water and foam, weakening its bond, however it does need some moisture from the atmosphere to actually react (dry).

It is very similar (same basic components) to the expanding spray foams or any other single component urethane based adhesives, which are also typically inert when dry (unless anti fungal or other additives are part of the formula).

The "degradability" part - it is a urethane, it will break down in UV and elements, but as a long chain polymer (read plastic), some of its molecules will be around for a long time.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Original Gorilla Glue is single component polyurethane. When dried it will be inert and presumably reef safe. The raw glue however is not likely reef safe (or human for that matter).

Wet, it will react with water and foam, weakening its bond, however it does need some moisture from the atmosphere to actually react (dry).

It is very similar (same basic components) to the expanding spray foams or any other single component urethane based adhesives, which are also typically inert when dry (unless anti fungal or other additives are part of the formula).
So cured should be ok?

The "degradability" part - it is a urethane, it will break down in UV and elements, but as a long chain polymer (read plastic), some of its molecules will be around for a long time.
Is there sufficient uv in the average reef light, or more specifically my kessil 360s, to cause problems?

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get big bottles of ca glue from gluemasters. I think I spent $60-$70 on 3 big bottles of their thin for building my rock structures. I still have 2-1/2 bottles lol.
They did come up in a search. About the same price as brs, kicking myself that I didn't add it to the order coming this week.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used pond foam to build the lava rock structure in my 125g tanganyika tank. I am just using the cheap aqueon leds that came with the tank. I keep finding the pond foam floating around the tank and some rocks are loose. Its been 3 years but still.

OP
OP
Mschmidt

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used pond foam to build the lava rock structure in my 125g tanganyika tank. I am just using the cheap aqueon leds that came with the tank. I keep finding the pond foam floating around the tank and some rocks are loose. Its been 3 years but still.
I know pond foam is fairly popular for terrarium structures but sealed with silicone.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 53 31.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back