Got 500$ need skimmer help

dedubya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I have total water volume of 200 gal, and im in the market for a good skimmer what would be my best bang for my buck at 500$ and would rather it be good for heavy stocking just to be useful down the road.

TrueReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much space do you have in/around your sump? I've always like the Octopus externals. I run one on my 300 gallon system and the thing kicks some serious ***.

toejam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new Vertex Omega Skimmer looks very promising. Do a google search on them.

goodtogo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on your sump area, and water depth that your sump is. I have a SRO 3000 and Seaside Aquatics CS180 currently. The SRO works better in 5 1/2 to 7 inches of water and the Seaside can be used in 7 to 10 inches of water. Both work great. Again it depends on your needs. I actually have the Seaside for sale here on the for sale forum.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The SRO-3000 or 5000 would both be great choices. Even better would be the SRO XP3000 cone. It's a little more than $500, but with all the black Friday sales and codes you can get really close. Aquarium specialty has a 14% off code as does Premium Aquatics and both carry Octopus Skimmers. Comparable SWC skimmers are very nice as well.

DO NOT get an ASM skimmer, once upon a time they were good skimmers. But now they're dated and old tech and not very well made compared to many other skimmers on the market.

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my ASM G3. I am about to start up an ASM G4+. It may be "old technology" but it skims a lot of crap out of my tank. It does a really good job IMO.

Sent from tapatalk

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back