Got a big clam yesterday

  • Thread starter Thread starter stanleo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 11, 2014
Messages
1,534
Reaction score
1,931
Location
Statesville, NC
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a big maxima clam yesterday and I'm concerned with its placement mainly for flow (how much flow can a clam take) and the fact that its mantle is not completely horizontal. The light has been on for an hour and a half it still looks like this, hasn't really opened fully. If this is a bad spot I have another spot that I can move it to but I like this spot because I can enjoy him more from a distance. Any advise is appreciated. Light is Red Sea Reef LED90 and calcium in the tank is 500.

Side question, is it normal for them to close up at night?

clam first day.jpg clam first day 2.jpg clam first day 3.jpg
 
It is totally normal for a clam to close at night. Also, my experience is the clam will adjust its position to how it wants to be. It can definitely take 1-2 days for the clam to fully open in a new environment.
 
It is totally normal for a clam to close at night. Also, my experience is the clam will adjust its position to how it wants to be. It can definitely take 1-2 days for the clam to fully open in a new environment.
Thank you. I will keep him there see how he does.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new