Got a chip in glass need some advice

jesse1134

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this 150g tank for a price I couldn't resist. It was in the man's basement so there was poor lighting and I didn't realize there was a chip in the glass. It's 12mm thick glass and the chips atvthe deepest point is only 3mm. What are my options to put my mind at ease. Could I epoxy the chip and silicone a corner brace over top of it? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
1554303033343.jpeg
1554302993997.jpeg

LiveWire

Master Electrician/Certified RODI Guru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had tanks in the past with small chips like the one in the 2nd photo. I have never had any issue myself besides the eyesore that it causes. Its when you start to get into the silicone between the glass that I start to worry.

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from the picture where this chip is located on the tank, relative to tank depth. I am also struggling to figure out the perspective in the first photo.

I would being that the chip is on the exterior, an epoxy repair would be sufficient. I would probably examine it closely with a magnifying lens to ensure there is no cracking that extends deeper than you can see. But otherwise, I believe an epoxy repair is sufficient and I do not see any added benefit from a glass patch on the outside.

What I cannot tell from that first picture though is what is the bubble looking thing below the chip? Its almost like the chip is much bigger if looked at face on but you did not provide that photo. If the chip is as bad as I think the first picture makes it look, then I would remove and replace the entire glass pane. If that is just some kind of optical distortion and the chip is as innocent as the second picture makes it look, I would just epoxy repair it.

OP
OP
jesse1134

jesse1134

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from the picture where this chip is located on the tank, relative to tank depth. I am also struggling to figure out the perspective in the first photo.

I would being that the chip is on the exterior, an epoxy repair would be sufficient. I would probably examine it closely with a magnifying lens to ensure there is no cracking that extends deeper than you can see. But otherwise, I believe an epoxy repair is sufficient and I do not see any added benefit from a glass patch on the outside.

What I cannot tell from that first picture though is what is the bubble looking thing below the chip? Its almost like the chip is much bigger if looked at face on but you did not provide that photo. If the chip is as bad as I think the first picture makes it look, then I would remove and replace the entire glass pane. If that is just some kind of optical distortion and the chip is as innocent as the second picture makes it look, I would just epoxy repair it.
Well the other side has almost the identical chip out of it so I sat down and did some thinking. I have a fluval 13.5 with an internal overflow and it got me thinking . Maybe I could get away with adding a piece of glass on the inside of the tank and segregating that end of the tank and just make it an overflow box. What are your thoughts on that?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think it would be fine. As long as it is on exterior them it is more appearance than structural.

Another pic or 2 to reference can’t hurt. To be sure

OP
OP
jesse1134

jesse1134

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think it would be fine. As long as it is on exterior them it is more appearance than structural.

Another pic or 2 to reference can’t hurt. To be sure
It's about 3/4 of the way up the tank and the tank itself is 31 inches tall. I used the piece of wood as a reference for what I was talking about the segregation of the back half.
1554309068287.jpeg
1554309118965.jpeg
1554309191514.jpeg
1554309298063.jpeg

OP
OP
jesse1134

jesse1134

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's empty. Why take a chance? Buy another.

You could still use it as a QT, or even a sump as a sump water line would be below the chip.
Yeah I'm just going to keep it as a project tank I mean the glass alone is worth at least 400 bucks. So I'll just take my time and cut the glass and rebuild the whole thing.

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look a bit more than what I was thinking. On the inside can you feel anything where the chip is.

If you scratch it does your fingernail get caught in it?

The chip that goes into the clear portion, about the size and of a 1/4?

I think still think it may be ok, but I am hesitant and would like a few others to chime in.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm just going to keep it as a project tank I mean the glass alone is worth at least 400 bucks. So I'll just take my time and cut the glass and rebuild the whole thing.

It looks like an Aqueon tank. I've replaced panels on them several times. Be patient and go slow... it will yield good results.

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any Auto Glass Shop can fill it in 20 mins max. The same way that fill window chips in car glass. And it will hold..! If done right..!

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the other side has almost the identical chip out of it so I sat down and did some thinking. I have a fluval 13.5 with an internal overflow and it got me thinking . Maybe I could get away with adding a piece of glass on the inside of the tank and segregating that end of the tank and just make it an overflow box. What are your thoughts on that?

All good advise above. The overflow does not really take any stress off the corner seam though. Yea, it will add some rigidity, but if the corner is going to go, its going to go. Like others above, I think you are fine. Fill it with epoxy and call it a day. But again, look closely and make sure no micro fractures extend into the glass section.

Any Auto Glass Shop can fill it in 20 mins max. The same way that fill window chips in car glass. And it will hold..! If done right..!

No on an edge like that. I just had to fix my windshield myself because no one wanted to be liable for a crack on the edge. Was quite easy actually. Dont even care if its not permanent, I just want to get two years out of it as I just bought it for Christmas LOL

OP
OP
jesse1134

jesse1134

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm just worried because my son is going to start walking soon and a tank that big with even a slight chance of blow out around that little guy would be disastrous not to mention the damage 150 gall9ns of water would do to my house. But I did the math and if I take ten inches of the top of the tank it will get rid of the chip and still leave me with about 104 gallon tank that's short and more rigid with 1/2 inch glass. I think I can live with that.

OP
OP
jesse1134

jesse1134

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look a bit more than what I was thinking. On the inside can you feel anything where the chip is.

If you scratch it does your fingernail get caught in it?

The chip that goes into the clear portion, about the size and of a 1/4?

I think still think it may be ok, but I am hesitant and would like a few others to chime in.
It doesn't go all the way through but it's a good sized chip and there's one on the same end just the other side. So I think I'll just dismantle it and cut the glass.

clsanchez77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'm just worried because my son is going to start walking soon and a tank that big with even a slight chance of blow out around that little guy would be disastrous not to mention the damage 150 gall9ns of water would do to my house. But I did the math and if I take ten inches of the top of the tank it will get rid of the chip and still leave me with about 104 gallon tank that's short and more rigid with 1/2 inch glass. I think I can live with that.

It doesn't go all the way through but it's a good sized chip and there's one on the same end just the other side. So I think I'll just dismantle it and cut the glass.

You don't have to make is shorter, just replace the chipped pane(s). I don't recall ever hearing anyone in this hobby saying "I wish my tank were smaller" lol

OP
OP
jesse1134

jesse1134

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to make is shorter, just replace the chipped pane(s). I don't recall ever hearing anyone in this hobby saying "I wish my tank were smaller" lol
Yeah well it's going to cost me 300 dollars to replace the panels so at that point I'll just buy a new tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I agree on auto glass repair shop. They have resins that will re-strengthen this and literally hide the blemish. Worth the cost and peace of mind

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah well it's going to cost me 300 dollars to replace the panels so at that point I'll just buy a new tank

Is that the DIY price? I recently replaced the bottom pane (12"x48") on a tank and it only cost 30 bucks plus the tube of silicone.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Is that the DIY price? I recently replaced the bottom pane (12"x48") on a tank and it only cost 30 bucks plus the tube of silicone.
auto gall repair should be about 45 dollars or less

Mastiffsrule

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree on auto glass repair shop. They have resins that will re-strengthen this and literally hide the blemish. Worth the cost and peace of mind

I have always wondered about this, how they would do the repair. @vetteguy53081

Generally when they repair windshields they apply a vacuum and inject resin in which it fills the crack and stops it from traveling. Can they also buildup chip or chunk of glass that’s missing like in this post?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 39 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back