Got a clam question? We've got you covered right here.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next week will be 2 months for my clam. Does the white line on the first pic represent growth?

Also your thoughts on appearance and health.
5bf0772bcbc9cbf076668d1dbf89eb9f.jpg

b9b797dabebee97c78cc8a23dc1e67c3.jpg

cd9d04903c557f51ebc371e53f18d463.jpg

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dersa currently in my tank, positioned directly under the Radion which is roughly 9" above water level and then 9" to tank bottom. The LED is only on 25% intensity. Also placed next to the torch coral ok?

@DSC reef
@jda

A.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dersa currently in my tank, positioned directly under the Radion which is roughly 9" above water level and then 9" to tank bottom. The LED is only on 25% intensity. Also placed next to the torch coral ok?

@DSC reef
@jda

A.
I'd watch the torch coral, there sting is potent. Our squamosa had a tough time next to a frogspawn at one point. I've never ran led (yet) so I'm not familiar with how powerful that light is.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd watch the torch coral, there sting is potent. Our squamosa had a tough time next to a frogspawn at one point. I've never ran led (yet) so I'm not familiar with how powerful that light is.

I'll move it, also the dersa doesn't stand upright as such. Has a slight lean to its side, and when open looks more slanted. Do they just grow to this form sometimes?

Thanks,

A.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll move it, also the dersa doesn't stand upright as such. Has a slight lean to its side, and when open looks more slanted. Do they just grow to this form sometimes?

Thanks,

A.
I've had some clams just prefer to be on there sides no matter what I tried. Most them were smaller though. Once above 5-6" they sat up pretty straight. As long as the mantle is getting light I wouldn't worry to much.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DSC reef
@jda

Crocea clam in possession, came on a piece of rock which had worms protruding on the underside. So the scalpel came out....
Appears to have been a simple removal, whilst out of the water and closed. I slightly, gently twisted the clam 90° then placed it back in the water. Minutes later I removed again and used the scalpel to slice the byssal at closest point to the rock. It was not hard and very little effort, so I believe the clam had decided to begin to remove itself as I'd gave a slight twist prior!

The rock had asterina starfish in tow as well as the worms. Felt it was only right I removed the clam to help prevent infestation of some type in my tank.

I'd drip acclimated the clam for 1-1/2 hours prior to removal off the rock.

At this point, I wouldn't advise, however I used 3% h2O2 on the shell whilst holding the clam 'hinge facing the ceiling' 'opening facing the floor' so it the liquid could drop away from the shell whilst blasting as much from the shell as possible. I instantly swooshed the clam in saltwater hereafter and gave a good scrub using a toothbrush whilst using a sharp edge to scrape any unusual growth upon the outer shell.

Images of the Crocea mid procedure and then in my display tank alongside my other new Derasa clam.

Guys, you remember I asked if the Crocea was gaping prior to purchase? What are your thoughts now?

d33316461ed88207940a849a2149b82f.jpg
acce2cb30b1b0c0803b645590c71bd25.jpg
d5a378121c0185b58f3df0c5639a196a.jpg

NOTE: on the Crocea byssal the dark colouration at the front of the foot, it appears this is where it was attached to the rock. Is this normal colouring?
50f24ffb2a59b2fd1a5c7ac164f9aa47.jpg
c357bb2ba9eb58b96327192097ea7548.jpg

Thanks

A.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An exaggerated incurrent siphon is typical with acclimation and since it went through a few things before going into the tank it's not uncommon. Gaping is when you see the shell it self propped wide open with the mantel recessed in the shell.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An exaggerated incurrent siphon is typical with acclimation and since it went through a few things before going into the tank it's not uncommon. Gaping is when you see the shell it self propped wide open with the mantel recessed in the shell.

I understand, the peroxide was a one off and I was very careful, hence how I navigated the clam to prevent the liquid touching any flesh.

Did you see the foot, any visuals of comparison you may have seen before with regards to the brownish area?

Finally, my poor leaning Derasa ;)

A.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for confirmation. I just thought gaping was a wide open incurrent siphon....

A.
I used to freak out when I saw our squamosa throw his incurrent siphon wide open but I knew it was nothing to worry about. At the 12" mark it would open its mouth wide and shoot water strong enough to blow frags across the tank! Lol.

hotashes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes once I'd put both clams in my burped by rotating 360° to release any possible trapped air. Once they opened up after being placed they both closed shut sharp and a fish of water circulated. The larger Derasa cause a stir up of detritus, coral food I guess ;)

A.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 34.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back