Stomatella, harmless.

goathead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMAG6676.jpg
Sorry I couldn't get a better picture, but hopefully this is good enough for an I.D. Anyone have an idea of what it is?? Hangs out on the glass mostly. Its about 3/8" long..

OP
OP
SeahorseKeeper

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a nudibranch. Do you have any corals that haven't been looking good lately?

goathead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, everything has been looking very good lately. Its very small and I have only seen the one in the picture. Should it be euthanized??

Rollininthehay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Growing on the lobo skeleton. Feels kinda like a nem. Three heads. Any clue?

HOOTER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This came in on some rock I got the other day anybody know what it is? A sponge maybe.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1399106566.549546.jpg

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never saw one of these in my tank before. Just discovered it tonight. I've been watching the zoas for weeks since I first found zoa nudis and killed them off. Well toay I noticed a whammin watermelon colony I have looking irritated and decided to watch it tonight. What I found looks like hair (& I thought it might be cuz mine is everywhere lol) then I saw it rolling over the zoas yet its end seemed rooted/stationary.
This is the best shot I could get of it.
And please tell me it isn't another bad critter? I so, how to get rid of it?

uploadfromtaptalk1399525172877.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1399525189318.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1399525207604.jpg

daclein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a question about mantis shrimp. A friend recently gave me some corals and on a colony of green star polyps small amphipod looking things were running around on it. She mentioned she had a mantis shrimp have babies in her tank so I kinda freaked,thinking I have checked the corals well enough and sealing any spots on the rocks they came on. I removed the colony and put it in a freshwater bucket to see if anything would come out. A quarter inch or so mantis came out. I could see its small front hammers and it was larger than the other hitchhikers I put the baby in a glass jar to possibly raise it (they are very cool creatures) but I'm more concerned about my reef tank. Could any other babies have gotten into my tank before I moved the rock? Some debris flew of the colony when I was removing it and I am concerned baby mantis shrimps are running rampant in my tank (there are no signs of them but the others were very small as opposed to the quarter inch ones removed. Should I be concerned about multiple mantis shrimps hitchhiking into my tank or just the one small one?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would keep and eye out for them especially at night. Also listen for clicking sounds. Might be a little faint because they're so small though. Good luck :)

Jackie

daclein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I heard in some websites they are cannibalistic and if you see one big one then that is the only one I don't know whether to relax because I already removed him or to worry about more showing up later

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a question about mantis shrimp. A friend recently gave me some corals and on a colony of green star polyps small amphipod looking things were running around on it. She mentioned she had a mantis shrimp have babies in her tank so I kinda freaked,thinking I have checked the corals well enough and sealing any spots on the rocks they came on. I removed the colony and put it in a freshwater bucket to see if anything would come out. A quarter inch or so mantis came out. I could see its small front hammers and it was larger than the other hitchhikers I put the baby in a glass jar to possibly raise it (they are very cool creatures) but I'm more concerned about my reef tank. Could any other babies have gotten into my tank before I moved the rock? Some debris flew of the colony when I was removing it and I am concerned baby mantis shrimps are running rampant in my tank (there are no signs of them but the others were very small as opposed to the quarter inch ones removed. Should I be concerned about multiple mantis shrimps hitchhiking into my tank or just the one small one?

Mantis shrimp do not reproduce in tanks. The larvae are very difficult to feed and they are cannibalistic. They will eat each other if they are kept in the same tank together. Most likely what she is seeing is amphipods. Do you have a picture of the 1/4" mantis you found? It's hard enough to keep 2 mantis in a tank without them killing each other. No tank will ever be overrun with mantis shrimp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back