Got a maroon clownfish is it sick?

sharkreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I finally got some fish and I got a matron clownfish. It has been eating but does not go to the surface to get food as all of my other clownfish do. My Maroon clownfish just waits for it to float by and sometimes doesn't even eat. I also saw a white spot but I'm not sure what it could be I am very new o this hobby by the way. The white spot is on its tail fin and I'm sorry if it is hard to see .
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1451513363.828689.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1451513406.022840.jpg

kenniole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the clownfish? How long has the tank been running since it still looks pretty new? What was your acclimation process? How big is the tank and how many other clownfish do you have?

The reason why I'm asking is because maroons can become very aggressive with other clowns.. if you also have aggressive eaters he might still be getting use to your tanks hence why he isn't going up top to feed. It could be a number of things so more information would be appreciated.

OP
OP
sharkreef

sharkreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the clownfish? How long has the tank been running since it still looks pretty new? What was your acclimation process? How big is the tank and how many other clownfish do you have?

The reason why I'm asking is because maroons can become very aggressive with other clowns.. if you also have aggressive eaters he might still be getting use to your tanks hence why he isn't going up top to feed. It could be a number of things so more information would be appreciated.
I have 2 other clownfish and have had the tank up for 2 months it's a 20 gallon was going to be my quarantine tank at first for my bigger display tank but I also wanted a small tank in my room. My acclimation process was letting the bags float on top of the water so it could match the temperature slowly then put in to a container and scooped him out and put him in the tank.

TheWhiteFord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really don't know then. I had a maroon for 2.5 years and then had to get rid of her because she got really nasty (would bite newcomers and would bight my hand so hard it drew blood every time I put it in the tank) I never had any problems and she always ate like a pig. My best bet is that yours is just shy.

Feltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although I don't know how u cycled ur tank regardless I'd say don't add anything else for awhile let ur tank catch up to the new bioload.

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I got a maroon clown a year ago whenever a fish or crab goes near it she tries to bite them and pics up the crabs and puts them as far away in the other end of the tank, she's only 3 inches but a feisty little one too but can be really nice as the same time never is aggressive to the other fish or me when I put my hand in I guess it depends on the size and specimen of the fish too, keep an eye on her and offer her a range of foods what food are you feeding her?? tank is 4 year old established reef tank-75gal with 40gal refugium :)

OP
OP
sharkreef

sharkreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I got a maroon clown a year ago whenever a fish or crab goes near it she tries to bite them and pics up the crabs and puts them as far away in the other end of the tank, she's only 3 inches but a feisty little one too but can be really nice as the same time never is aggressive to the other fish or me when I put my hand in I guess it depends on the size and specimen of the fish too, keep an eye on her and offer her a range of foods what food are you feeding her?? tank is 4 year old established reef tank-75gal with 40gal refugium :)
The fish store was feeding her omega 1 fish flakes so that's what I've been feeding her any other suggestions on what I should feed her.

Feltman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't be worried about it not coming to the surface every fish is a little differnt. You should try some kind of frozen as well mysis, brine or a lrs fish frenzy are popular types.

JadeM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah try frozen even chopped and enriched krill brine shrimp squid Mysis shrimp and so on some times I blend(in a old blender of obviously) krill prawns mussles and feed that to my snowflake moray, my lightning wrasse(pink face wrasse on live aquaria) and my swallow tail hawk, and the other fish in my reef, but only once a week or so as has a lot of oils and fatty meat, I also feed spirulina flakes daily and new life spectrum pellets once a day, I find that brings out the colours and the health in the fish, the proof is the fish as I bought a yellow foxface which was very skinny fed that and got him a friend and now lives very happily note: he was only 4 inches when I bought him and the other is 5 or 6 inches, but yeah feed a mix as some of mine have favourite foods and some they hate :)

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW; a maroon is not going to coexist peacefully with other clownfish in just a 20 gal for long - unlesss it's another maroon i.e. it's mate.

OP
OP
sharkreef

sharkreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW; a maroon is not going to coexist peacefully with other clownfish in just a 20 gal for long - unlesss it's another maroon i.e. it's mate.
The 20 gallon is just until I get my 125 gallon up and running which won't be to long if I do have a problem I'll split them up hopefully I get my 125 gallon up before there is an issue

kenniole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity the other 2 clowns you got in there what are they? How long will it take for you to set up that 125? This isn't a personal attack or anything and it's great that you are asking questions I just feel like this hobby should always be more research before buys and not do it now and beg for forgiveness later.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back