Sick clownfish help

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a clownfish who has been acting strange and I linked a video. Clasped fins and breathing heavy and today started staying in the corner of the tank breathing out of it. The other tank members being a blue damsel fish, another clownfish a cleaner shrimp, some corals and hermit crabs. All other thanks mates seem fine. The one clownfish also has stringy white pop. I gave the clownfish a FW dip and that seemed to help a bit I’m unsure but I could not spot any flukes on the bottom of the container. I have metroplex and focus on me both are expired by a couple months but as I’m Canadian we can’t get fish antibiotics so whatever I have is whatever I gotta use. I also live in an apartment some a QT tank is not an option I can use a bucket tho. Any help is appreciated the clownfish was eating yesterday but today has not that being said I tried feeding the clown right after the dip like an idiot

Attachments

• IMG_7822.mov
    45.9 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As I said a couple posts ago - you can use ruby rally pro (which contains formalin) -
Rally pro does not contain formalin- acryflavine

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have also neoplex and metroplex would either of those work
No- not for brooklynella.
Rally pro does not contain formalin- acryflavine
"The RALLY ™ label lists three active ingredients: acriflavine, aminoacridine and formalin that have been proven effective in parasite control in aquaculture operations and tropical fish farms."

Seems to me it contains formalin? Are we talking about. 2 different products

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No- not for brooklynella.

"The RALLY ™ label lists three active ingredients: acriflavine, aminoacridine and formalin that have been proven effective in parasite control in aquaculture operations and tropical fish farms."

Seems to me it contains formalin? Are we talking about. 2 different products
Formalin content was so low and to my understanding eliminated as its hard to acquire other than pharmaceutical base. Its main base is acriflavine

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey guys I have a clownfish who has been acting strange and I linked a video. Clasped fins and breathing heavy and today started staying in the corner of the tank breathing out of it. The other tank members being a blue damsel fish, another clownfish a cleaner shrimp, some corals and hermit crabs. All other thanks mates seem fine. The one clownfish also has stringy white pop. I gave the clownfish a FW dip and that seemed to help a bit I’m unsure but I could not spot any flukes on the bottom of the container. I have metroplex and focus on me both are expired by a couple months but as I’m Canadian we can’t get fish antibiotics so whatever I have is whatever I gotta use. I also live in an apartment some a QT tank is not an option I can use a bucket tho. Any help is appreciated the clownfish was eating yesterday but today has not that being said I tried feeding the clown right after the dip like an idiot
The two mentioned wont do much for your issue. Clowns rarely if ever get flukes and may be brook, bacterial or other. Canada is the toughest country when it comes to meds and often you can use mail order with few outlets shipping to canada. Pet drug Mart i believe in Ontario may be able to help you with some meds. It responded to FW dip which indicates it responded and narrows to brook, while can be flukes. The difference is with flukes, you will see swollen gills with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two mentioned wont do much for your issue. Clowns rarely if ever get flukes and may be brook, bacterial or other. Canada is the toughest country when it comes to meds and often you can use mail order with few outlets shipping to canada. Pet drug Mart i believe in Ontario may be able to help you with some meds. It responded to FW dip which indicates it responded and narrows to brook, while can be flukes. The difference is with flukes, you will see swollen gills with rapid breathing, fish acting lethargic or swimming near the water surface, hiding in the corner of tank or behind rocks, loss of appetite, shaking its head, flashing/darting, develop clamped fins, , or scratching against objects.
Thank you for the help. Through this thread and research online seems to be unfortunately brooks, I’m debating on trying to get medication in time or peacefully euthanizing the fish as I am unsure if the medication will arrive in time. I’m going to attempt to buy the medication but if it’s get stopped at the border I’ll be out of options. I’m going to set up the 5 bucket/ container QT so at least the other clownfish may not get it. As the larger one has only shown symptoms for 2 days and it still eats/ swims around so I’m assuming the infection is on the early stages. I’ll do another freshwater dip tmrw as the one I did recently was only 3 hours ago. Is this disease common in clownfish? First time I’ve ever seen it but it’s also only the second time I’ve ever had clownfish

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the help. Through this thread and research online seems to be unfortunately brooks, I’m debating on trying to get medication in time or peacefully euthanizing the fish as I am unsure if the medication will arrive in time. I’m going to attempt to buy the medication but if it’s get stopped at the border I’ll be out of options. I’m going to set up the 5 bucket/ container QT so at least the other clownfish may not get it. As the larger one has only shown symptoms for 2 days and it still eats/ swims around so I’m assuming the infection is on the early stages. I’ll do another freshwater dip tmrw as the one I did recently was only 3 hours ago. Is this disease common in clownfish? First time I’ve ever seen it but it’s also only the second time I’ve ever had clownfish
Also called my local LFS where I got it and they basically said “sucks to suck”, which kinda blows. You and the rest of this thread have been super helpful!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can also confirm she’s eating! I had to wait a bit but she went for the food which is a great sign where before the FW dip she wouldn’t

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The fish should hold until wednesday. Eating is a great sign and when downhill often display loss of appetite, lethargic behavior or hiding in the tank

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish should hold until wednesday. Eating is a great sign and when downhill often display loss of appetite, lethargic behavior or hiding in the tank
I can’t seem to get formaldehyde as that’s not something I can just get anywhere (Canadian things) but I can get the rally pro product but you said it doesn’t have that ingredient? Or is it in such small amount sit may not do much?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did another FW dip and its fins are no longer nearly as clasped! Maybe I can buy enough time

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so update. She’s in a QT set up and is doing fine. Because she’s by herself she’s become a lot more docile, and she is no longer clamping her bottom fins and when I approached the bucket she came to the top expecting food. I also got a very close look at her and she doesn’t seem to have any mucus and in the QT bucket she’s swimming more normally than before. No discolouration as well as she’s an incredibly vibrant orange. I’m stumped now I’m gonna keep her in the QT. But I am unsure if it’s brooks mainly I read I could be wrong Brooks kills incredibly fast and given if I can’t get medication by Wednesday if she’s still alive and kicking would that rule out Brooks and maybe it’s an internal parasite?! As she did have white stringy poo. I have been checking the QT tank and she’s acting like a normal clownfish the random up down movement with how clownfish swim, normal swimming no longer eradic, and when I was testing the water for salinity even was nipping at my finger. Will keep an update for the morning but she already seems to be doing better as her fins are not clamped. Yet she showed the erratic swimming movement seen in Brooks

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

New YouTube short of the clownfish. Easy to see the bottom dorsal fins are no longer tucked and swimming is much more normal and mid to lower range of bucket. Tank was always top. This is so odd imo

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ruby reef rally pro has formaldelyde in the dose they recommend. If that's not trustable - then we should Not be recommending it for anything @Jay Hemdal

Upvote 0

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did not QT the fish unfortunately living in an apartment makes space tough. The other clownfish is doing fine. So I guess I got unlucky, I can set up a small QT tank or use the 5 gallon bucket I have with an air stone. I’ll try and get ruby rally pro. Is this fish worth saving?
Not quarantined is irresponsible. You can make room for a 10g tank with a small HOB filter for a month.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quarantined is irresponsible. You can make room for a 10g tank with a small HOB filter for a month.
True but you also have no idea how small university residency is. Also she seems fine in the bucket isnt stressed and it has a heater and a filter with a place for her to hide.

Upvote 0

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
True but you also have no idea how small university residency is. Also she seems fine in the bucket isnt stressed and it has a heater and a filter with a place for her to hide.
Nice. If you need to get more fish, use your bucket for qt to avoid these problems.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice. If you need to get more fish, use your bucket for qt to avoid these problems.
Definitely will, not sure how long I should wait to add this clownfish back as she is doing so much better today, fins no longer clasped and normal swimming. I didn’t do anything other than a FW dip and metroplex as she also had white stringy poo which can be an internal parasite. It’s only been a day going to do it for a couple more for sure and have her new water made sure to temp and salinity match.

Upvote 0

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

New YouTube short of the clownfish. Easy to see the bottom dorsal fins are no longer tucked and swimming is much more normal and mid to lower range of bucket. Tank was always top. This is so odd imo

I see a lot of floating particles in your main tank. Do you have enough filtration and water agitation ? This might be a problem and explain why she is doing better in the hospital tank.

Also (I’m from Canada), if you order meds like Ruby rally pro in winter, there is a good chance it will get to you frozen. That’s what happened to me last year. It is useless once it’s been frozen (I called the company).

Best of luck to you.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a lot of floating particles in your main tank. Do you have enough filtration and water agitation ? This might be a problem and explain why she is doing better in the hospital tank.

Also (I’m from Canada), if you order meds like Ruby rally pro in winter, there is a good chance it will get to you frozen. That’s what happened to me last year. It is useless once it’s been frozen (I called the company).

Best of luck to you.
I just ordered some today from Amazon. If it comes frozen I’ll return it thanks for the info! As for the particles that’s because the damsel fish was digging into the sand with its tail it has always done that. The tank has a 40 gallon filter set at max setting while it’s a 20 gallon

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello so I need some advice. I did another FW dip and notiched white stops on the pectoral fins? No slime yet and she is swimming more normally could it be ich?

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back