Sick clownfish help

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a clownfish who has been acting strange and I linked a video. Clasped fins and breathing heavy and today started staying in the corner of the tank breathing out of it. The other tank members being a blue damsel fish, another clownfish a cleaner shrimp, some corals and hermit crabs. All other thanks mates seem fine. The one clownfish also has stringy white pop. I gave the clownfish a FW dip and that seemed to help a bit I’m unsure but I could not spot any flukes on the bottom of the container. I have metroplex and focus on me both are expired by a couple months but as I’m Canadian we can’t get fish antibiotics so whatever I have is whatever I gotta use. I also live in an apartment some a QT tank is not an option I can use a bucket tho. Any help is appreciated the clownfish was eating yesterday but today has not that being said I tried feeding the clown right after the dip like an idiot

Attachments

• IMG_7822.mov
    45.9 MB

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys I have a clownfish who has been acting strange and I linked a video. Clasped fins and breathing heavy and today started staying in the corner of the tank breathing out of it. The other tank members being a blue damsel fish, another clownfish a cleaner shrimp, some corals and hermit crabs. All other thanks mates seem fine. The one clownfish also has stringy white pop. I gave the clownfish a FW dip and that seemed to help a bit I’m unsure but I could not spot any flukes on the bottom of the container. I have metroplex and focus on me both are expired by a couple months but as I’m Canadian we can’t get fish antibiotics so whatever I have is whatever I gotta use. I also live in an apartment some a QT tank is not an option I can use a bucket tho. Any help is appreciated the clownfish was eating yesterday but today has not that being said I tried feeding the clown right after the dip like an idiot
I and many others cannot view the movie - could you post to YouTube. How long have you had it? If nothing else I would recommend Ruby Rally Pro - in your display. Which could affect a number of illnesses. Focus and metroplex are unlikely to be of use. Note - that Ruby Rally Pro - recommends a hospital tank - so I would be a little careful about your shrimp and inverts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I and many others cannot view the movie - could you post to YouTube. How long have you had it? If nothing else I would recommend Ruby Rally Pro - in your display. Which could affect a number of illnesses. Focus and metroplex are unlikely to be of use. Note - that Ruby Rally Pro - recommends a hospital tank - so I would be a little careful about your shrimp and inverts.
Forgive me it’s my first time using this site. Luckily I live close to the border so I can try and bring some fish medication back. Here is the YouTube short

I can set up a QT 5 gallon bucket, but that’s about it. I’ve had the fish for 1.5 weeks only started acting weird like 2 days ago

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video quality is not great, but you can see the clasped fins and the constant just circling in the same spot, the fish does seem less stressed after the freshwater dip as the swimming is more calm and before was very very erratic and the fish is no longer trying to go the top of the tank for air. Being Canadian getting proper fish medication is almost impossible

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Forgive me it’s my first time using this site. Luckily I live close to the border so I can try and bring some fish medication back. Here is the YouTube short

I can set up a QT 5 gallon bucket, but that’s about it. I’ve had the fish for 1.5 weeks only started acting weird like 2 days ago

It seems like (to me) - its distant - to be brooklynella - or the pair is not getting along. Did you QT the fish? Apologies if you already answered. I might suggest Ruby Rally Pro.

Upvote 0

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video is not sufficient to be accurate, but the clamped fins and possible fuzzy coating appearance (could just be the video) also make me suspicious of brooklynella, and it's a clownfish of course.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like (to me) - its distant - to be brooklynella - or the pair is not getting along. Did you QT the fish? Apologies if you already answered. I might suggest Ruby Rally Pro.
I did not QT the fish unfortunately living in an apartment makes space tough. The other clownfish is doing fine. So I guess I got unlucky, I can set up a small QT tank or use the 5 gallon bucket I have with an air stone. I’ll try and get ruby rally pro. Is this fish worth saving?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The video is not sufficient to be accurate, but the clamped fins and possible fuzzy coating appearance (could just be the video) also make me suspicious of brooklynella, and it's a clownfish of course.
The fish so far has no mucus on it but is breathing fairly heavy.

Upvote 0

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a good symptom, as it may indicate a pathogenic infection that has spread to the gills. Brooklynella, cryptocaryon (ich), and velvet can do this, along with flukes etc. Try separating the clowns to see if it's maybe a stress response, but I would be looking at treating.

Upvote 0

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see any bullying in that video, but damsels are horrible fish, and sometimes clowns don't get along. I'm still very suspicious of brooklynella, especially in a non-quarantined clown.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The fish so far has no mucus on it but is breathing fairly heavy.
The swim pattern and heavy breathing point to signs of early stage brook and while no mucus, you likely see the loss of coloration as another indicator. other signs will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from developing mucus. As mucus starts to build, it starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't see any bullying in that video, but damsels are horrible fish, and sometimes clowns don't get along. I'm still very suspicious of brooklynella, especially in a non-quarantined clown.
So the clown and damsel did fight a bit at first but then stopped. The damsel even leaves the very tiny clownfish alone just as long as they don’t go into his cave at night which both clownfish do not. The clownfish seem to get along as the larger one is the sick one and the male always does the submissive dance towards her and they have not nipped at each other once infact the male usually stays close to the female or checks up on her. What medication should I try I know I keep repeating myself and I apologize but as a Canadian fish antibiotics are illegal I can go to the US to get some but have no idea what to look for. I got metroplex and Neoplex that’s about it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The swim pattern and heavy breathing point to signs of early stage brook and while no mucus, you likely see the loss of coloration as another indicator. other signs will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from developing mucus. As mucus starts to build, it starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective but now harder to find) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.
With the advanced stage of this- I recommend immediate quarantine of all inhabitants and leaving display without fish for 4-6 weeks.
Thank you for the help I have some more questions, first I don’t have a GT tank can a bucket suffice with an air stone? Second why should I do all the fish if it just started showing symptoms should I do even the damsel? The earliest I can get the medication is by Wednesday as I gotta go across the border to get it I can QT the mainclownfish in the bucket in the meantime

Upvote 0
OP
OP
thecommentr86

thecommentr86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the help I have some more questions, first I don’t have a GT tank can a bucket suffice with an air stone? Second why should I do all the fish if it just started showing symptoms should I do even the damsel? The earliest I can get the medication is by Wednesday as I gotta go across the border to get it I can QT the mainclownfish in the bucket in the meantime
I have also neoplex and metroplex would either of those work

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the help I have some more questions, first I don’t have a GT tank can a bucket suffice with an air stone?
yes.
Second why should I do all the fish if it just started showing symptoms should I do even the damsel?
You should consider treating all of the fish.
The earliest I can get the medication is by Wednesday as I gotta go across the border to get it I can QT the mainclownfish in the bucket in the meantime
Yes

Upvote 0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As I said a couple posts ago - you can use ruby rally pro (which contains formalin) -

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Freshwater dip if mucus shows up will buy you time but not cure issue
The other fish- while they may be fine may have exposure to symptoms but this is precautionary measure/suggestion. In lieu of bucket, a clear Rubbermaid like container is a better option and close to a tank

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back