Got Fish?!?

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Marvin. I hope it wasn't asked already, but are both of your Flames male? Didn't you say one was a sub-male. I watched that vid several times, and love how they were flaring up on each other, stiff as a board.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Marvin. I hope it wasn't asked already, but are both of your Flames male? Didn't you say one was a sub-male. I watched that vid several times, and love how they were flaring up on each other, stiff as a board.
I started with two females back in Oct 2009. one decided to turn male and the other shortly transitioned also. so technically, I have two males. they do this dance almost every night. hope they co exist for a while longer. I'm ready to pull one out if need be.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
%

Very very nice Marvin!! Love all the fish, and great selection, BTW!

Got fish? Yup :wink:

IMG_9566.jpg

Last edited:

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with two females back in Oct 2009. one decided to turn male and the other shortly transitioned also. so technically, I have two males. they do this dance almost every night. hope they co exist for a while longer. I'm ready to pull one out if need be.

Hey Marvin, I just recently saw that I've got a third male in the tank. Started with one giant male and three tiny females. I now have two huge males, one large male, and one large female.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peter, thanks for posting pics of your fishes. We just need Brad to post some pics of his group shots. Just appropriate coz both your tanks are inspiration. :)

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Marvin, I just recently saw that I've got a third male in the tank. Started with one giant male and three tiny females. I now have two huge males, one large male, and one large female.
yikes! everyone still behaving though? did you get a chance to see the vid of the my two HI Flames flashing each other?

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was told I should avoid the flames because of the similar coloration with the Attenuatus trio in my tank .... I mean this is coming from an expert but both you and Brad have both in your tanks???? (I believe Brad has both, right?)

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I was told I should avoid the flames because of the similar coloration with the Attenuatus trio in my tank .... I mean this is coming from an expert but both you and Brad have both in your tanks???? (I believe Brad has both, right?)
I believe Brad has a pair of HI Flames. my HI Flames can care less about the Attenuatus.

here's a pic of the HI Flames battling. the bigger one is in the front but seems like the smaller one is dominating the bigger one atm. it flips back and forth depending on their mood. ;)
03-19-2011HIFlamez1.jpg

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah, having the Attenuatus first in the tank should help a ton. although in my case, the HI Flames were in before the Attenuatus. and having a bigger fairy (your Lineatus) should help balance things out too.

96gts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Nice Collection of fish! Time to upgrade to a bigger tank, so the collection can keep growing. :bigsmile:

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very Nice Collection of fish! Time to upgrade to a bigger tank, so the collection can keep growing. :bigsmile:
I wish! my dream tank for our current home would be 8' x 3' x 2' and could replace the current bar we have that we hardly use. maybe on the next house. ;)

I'm quite happy with the collection as of now and it's really fun watching the tank. I'm getting used to my routine of doing water changes every 5-7 days. corals don't seem to mind either. :)

96gts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you do 10 percent or so water change every week? What's the dimension of your 110gal?

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you do 10 percent or so water change every week? What's the dimension of your 110gal?
2" short of standard 120g. :)

10 percent sounds about right. depending on my mood and how much water I have on hand, w/c are 7g-14g every 5-7 days. :)

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yeah, having the Attenuatus first in the tank should help a ton. although in my case, the HI Flames were in before the Attenuatus. and having a bigger fairy (your Lineatus) should help balance things out too.

I guess he could also just be making sure I don't overpopulate my tank as well ... LOL ;)

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. :)

that's gotta be it Sara. ;) I still love yah even with that nice jab. :) LoL

LOL, I'm just messing with you Marvin! I'm not sure how you and Brad make it work with all those wrasses! I always figured Brad had plenty of hiding room with rocks and corals, but you've blown that theory away. In my tanks I've had only about 5 rocks and they are not stacked at all, just solid large rocks so there's really no place to hide other than diving under them! I've got 4 other wrasses in the works, so maybe I'll see how those go first before I consider adding anything else.

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, I'm just messing with you Marvin! I'm not sure how you and Brad make it work with all those wrasses! I always figured Brad had plenty of hiding room with rocks and corals, but you've blown that theory away. In my tanks I've had only about 5 rocks and they are not stacked at all, just solid large rocks so there's really no place to hide other than diving under them! I've got 4 other wrasses in the works, so maybe I'll see how those go first before I consider adding anything else.
yeah, no worries Sara. :bigsmile:

although my tank looks like it doesn't have a lot of hiding place, it does. ;) I positioned some rocks to accommodate the sleeping area for the fishes. also, the ceramic rocks I have are hollow inside so that's a great sleeping area for the bigger fairies. it also doubles as a quick hideaway when being chased around. also, some of the rocks have crevices where the flashers can fit. I sorta freak out when I see some flashers wedged in the crevices. they know how to hide. ;)

yeah, might be a little hard with only 5 solid rocks. the only way is maybe line up some rocks on the bottom of the bigger pieces. I'm sure the wrasses will find a way to make it their home. it'll be fun seeing what other wrasses you have in the 183g. on the "4 other wrasses in the works", are the trio of Leopard's accounted for?

SaraB

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That explains it then that you do have more hiding spaces than it looks like from the pics. I guess I didnt' pay too much attention to the actual rock structures when we were there as I was too busy staring at the corals you had!

Yes, the potters trio is part of the 4 ;)

OP
OP
MarvinsReef

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That explains it then that you do have more hiding spaces than it looks like from the pics. I guess I didnt' pay too much attention to the actual rock structures when we were there as I was too busy staring at the corals you had!

Yes, the potters trio is part of the 4 ;)
ah. Potter's should be pretty coolio. :)

the round corals aren't there anymore. only a few are left. tank should look a little more natural when it grows out a bit. :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 46 29.5%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.1%

Back