Got My Platygyra and Acanthophyllia Corals Today!

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got these two pieces today and love them both! Honestly the Platygyra is even more beautiful than it was in the picture the vendor advertised. Instead of mint green it's much more electric green and maroon in person! It almost immediately extended it's tentacles even with the lights on to feed after being added several hours ago. As for the Acanthophyllia, I know it's a little bleached...the vendor told me that before buying it actually. It was actually in another guy's tank before he asked the vendor to sell it for him so I feel like his lighting was probably wrong and he may not have fed it either. It's responding well to food, however, and inflated to it's full size very quickly...it's about 5 inches across! I'm going to give it low light to help it recover and nightly feedings. Here are a few pics:
P6060027_1.JPG P6060026_1.JPG P6060024_1.JPG P6060025_1.JPG P6060022_1.JPG P6060021_1.JPG

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the tank is only 20 gallons, I think the two 18 watt lights for a total of 32 Watts blue + UV will be low enough light to help it recover on the bottom. I turned one of the lights slightly away from him and as he regains his color from the zooxanthellae I'll slowly put him directly below one of the lights. I'm going to feed nightly as well.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy for you. I can't wait too how that acantho looks once back in top health.

Was any skeleton exposed when you recieved it?
Very little if any...they have very spikey skeletons though so I'm not 100% sure. I think it'll recover just fine.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very little if any...they have very spikey skeletons though so I'm not 100% sure. I think it'll recover just fine.
That's about normal. They seem to expose those spikes under severe stress. Traveling, is stressful.

I always worry if the flesh looks to have peeled away from the skeleton. No worries since that's not the case.

I see plenty of healthy patches. It'll be just fine.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got these two pieces today and love them both! Honestly the Platygyra is even more beautiful than it was in the picture the vendor advertised. Instead of mint green it's much more electric green and maroon in person! It almost immediately extended it's tentacles even with the lights on to feed after being added several hours ago. As for the Acanthophyllia, I know it's a little bleached...the vendor told me that before buying it actually. It was actually in another guy's tank before he asked the vendor to sell it for him so I feel like his lighting was probably wrong and he may not have fed it either. It's responding well to food, however, and inflated to it's full size very quickly...it's about 5 inches across! I'm going to give it low light to help it recover and nightly feedings. Here are a few pics:
P6060027_1.JPG P6060026_1.JPG P6060024_1.JPG P6060025_1.JPG P6060022_1.JPG P6060021_1.JPG
Beutiful corals!!!

Kerbash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahhh...just as many downsides as upsides. People think they're gonna come here and live the good and easy life all the time...it doesn't work like that:(
Haha really? How has your experience been so far? I actually got a job offer last month to Thailand didnt accept yet though still considering.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 62 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.2%
Back