Got some Gulf Live Rock in today

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering if I got anything good? One piece has something that moves on it, like a clam? How do I care for that or will it die?
DSCN0343.JPG
DSCN0344.JPG
DSCN0345.JPG
DSCN0346.JPG
DSCN0347.JPG
DSCN0348.JPG
DSCN0349.JPG
DSCN0350.JPG
DSCN0351.JPG
DSCN0352.JPG

EuphylliaAddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd remove the plant so it doesn't take over. You're running just a 206 canister?

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which plant? 206 canister just for chemical media/extra flow, I dont have any sponges or bio in it, and I have a hang on back reef octopus bh100 skimmer, and a reef breeders rpm powerhead.

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are these little reddish things on my snails shell? He didnt come in with the rock, Ive had him for some time now, just noticed they are more of them today, he only had one on him when I first got him. They looks a little white thing moves in and out on the end.

DSCN0364.JPG
DSCN0367.JPG

And this did come in on the rock, the little orange looking thing, Ive seen it moving in and out of the rock.
DSCN0368.JPG

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening

Good call on the gulf rock. Like mentioned leave the rock as is. Some plants may die off, some may get eaten by fish you put in, some you may end up liking and let growi or end up pruning and removing.

As far as ammonia, I would grab and ammonia alert badge and prime for an emergency. I would also have some rodi and salt ready, but I doubt you will have any issues. If you got your rock from one of the reputable vendors the rock should have little to no die off. I just set up a 75 using rock that came out of the ocean 2 days earlier. I put fish and coral in the tank right away and no issues. It Just takes planning and monitoring.

On the down side, you will need to monitor for hitchhikers for a while. The worst is usually gorilla crabs followed by whelks. Since you put the rock in the tank you may want to hold off on permanent rock scape in case you need to pull it apart to get a crab out.

Not sure about what is on the snail or the rock. Did not see if you have fish in, but I would get som in there if not.

You could do a build thread for a badge and so we can follow if you like

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a few more questions, what is this thing?
DSCN0370.JPG

And what are the little green things on this side of this rock?

DSCN0371.JPG
DSCN0372.JPG

And this might be a dumb question, but when I start to add coral, will these things interfere with the coral? Like grow over the coral?

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what everything is. There are references on here and sites like reefcleeners, Tampa bay saltawater and others that can help.

I would get your fish and Cuc established first. They are going to graze on the stuff on the rock. Then you can manually remove what is left if you want. You may want to leave some as long as it is not an invasive species if you happen to like it. You generally will not want to put coral next to a growing plant for space and light reason amoung others.

Back