Got to get it out!!!

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I mistakenly bought what I thought was going to be a docile fish for my 45 gal JBJ tank. It's my fault. I guess I didn't do enough research before I bought it. Anyway, it's meaner than a junk yard dog. It chases my wrasse around the tank until it buries itself in the sand for many days. It had my firefish jumping out of the tank until it jumped into the filtration and got sucked up by the main pump. I have to get this thing out, pronto. So my question to you all is................ What is the best way to catch a fish in a smaller tank with a bunch of rock and other obstacles? Is there such thing as a fish trap like they make for mice? I am trying to avoid taking apart the tank in order to catch this stupid fish. I will post a pic below of the problem. Thx.

D58FC286-284A-45D6-93A4-DF50A992BA6F.png

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are fish traps. But if you need to get it out immediately, get in there with a net. And if there are obstacles (rock), remove them and store in a bucket with some tank water until you catch it and then replace the rock..

The aggressiveness may be due to it defending territory it has established as its own.

How is the tank stocked? You tank may be getting crowded.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah fish trap might be the best option if you don't want to tear apart the tank to get to him...

Or introduce a damsel and put it in its place!
giphy-3.gif

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are fish traps. But if you need to get it out immediately, get in there with a net. And if there are obstacles (rock), remove them and store in a bucket with some tank water until you catch it and then replace the rock..

The aggressiveness may be due to it defending territory it has established as its own.

How is the tank stocked? You tank may be getting crowded.
Besides the problem fish, I have 1 clown, 1 wrasse, and a watchman goby.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime i need to catch a fish for whatever reason I simply don't feed them for a day or two then I get some food and as they are all fiending for the food I drop some in and quickly with my net scoop up the fish and pull out the one I was looking to catch.

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime i need to catch a fish for whatever reason I simply don't feed them for a day or two then I get some food and as they are all fiending for the food I drop some in and quickly with my net scoop up the fish and pull out the one I was looking to catch.
Ok. That's the advice I was needing. I'll try that.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another way is to try in the middle of the night.
Turn on lights full, fish act groggy & disoriented. You might have to coax out of the rockwork.
Caught a purple tang in a 6 foot tank quickly.

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another way is to try in the middle of the night.
Turn on lights full, fish act groggy & disoriented. You might have to coax out of the rockwork.
Caught a purple tang in a 6 foot tank quickly.
That just seems mean to me. But thanks for the suggestion.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the problem fish, I have 1 clown, 1 wrasse, and a watchman goby.

The tank doesn't seem to be overcrowded. But Clownfish are extremely territorial. I'm not very familiar with Dottybacks, but I do understand that they will fiercely defend their territory.

This may be the problem, and you would be right in removing it.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magenta dottyback has a well earned reputation as aggressive beyond its size. Most fish traps are quite large so you need to have adequate open space. You could also try hooking it.

kev.2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used a water bottle fish trap to catch mine, it actually was pretty easy to catch with some frozen food inside the bottle.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I've had a "problem child" and re-scaping isn't an option, I've drain a tank down to about an inch or two of water. It makes it alot easier to corner a fish without too much destruction. It's a hassle, YES but when they can't easily escape it's easier to catch them.

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I've had a "problem child" and re-scaping isn't an option, I've drain a tank down to about an inch or two of water. It makes it alot easier to corner a fish without too much destruction. It's a hassle, YES but when they can't easily escape it's easier to catch them.
I would think your way would be easier if it's a fish only tank with no corals. I just hate having my corals out of water for any period of time.

OP
OP
saullman

saullman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magenta dottyback has a well earned reputation as aggressive beyond its size. Most fish traps are quite large so you need to have adequate open space. You could also try hooking it.
What do you mean? With a hook like you going fishing?

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think your way would be easier if it's a fish only tank with no corals. I just hate having my corals out of water for any period of time.
Corals get a little upset but they get over it. Depending on tank size it's usually not for more than an hour (in my case w/my 120) I had to pull a Foxface who was having "Battle Royal" with a Powder Blue Tang and both are menances to catch.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 21.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.1%

Back