Gramma started hiding randomly

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a royal gramma to my 25 lagoon. Immediately began opening swimming with the single clown that was already in there.

Two weeks later he went into his hole and hasn’t come out for 48 hours. I know he’s alive because I blew water in there and he popped his head out to see what was happening.

I am worried he will starve. Anyone experienced this?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. If he's found his "happy spot" you can expect to see him very infrequently. Royal grammas are renowned for spending most of their waking moments inside your rockwork. If he's found a great spot the scraps will come to him - or he'll tend to come out and prowl for food when you're not looking. In any event, this is a fish that looks absolutely gorgeous - when it decides to actually come out.

Yazannreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Just give it sometime. Mine was hiding all the time. After he found his happy spot he made himself a cave and took all the sand out of it. Now he comes out all the time even when there is traffic in front of the glass and only sleeps there at night.

They just need to get comfortable in their surroundings and they will come out all the time.

It's weird sometimes I see the Gramma the clowns and a small blue tang huddling up like they are plotting an escape or something!! It's fun to see!!!

OP
OP
Robert Binz

Robert Binz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know if it’s important but I added a Bengaii cardinal and a second clown two weeks after the gramma, & they both died in two days.

The gramma, the original clown, and a tiny Molly that was born in the tank are all still alive.

Someone told me I may have just had bad luck with getting two sick fish from the LFS—but still very concerning

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back