Gramps's little piece of the reef

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using a Apex controller so I have redundancy all over the place as my better half is very anal about that
But if you set the system up and have just enough water to go into the sump and not overfull. and a syphon break as well ( which the regular return will have but since you have a regular forty gallon then you
Will have a normal over top return line
Something like this
https://www.amazon.com/Return-Assem...50-spons&keywords=Aquarium++return+line&psc=1

OP
OP
Gramps13

Gramps13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah that's what I was gonna use. And I was going to drill a hole just below the water line for syphon break. Thanks for the heads up.

OP
OP
Gramps13

Gramps13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I missed that. Depending how deep into the tank it sits I may need one closer to the water line. I will only have a 10 gallon sump so I will be limited on return volume.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks great.

I have a 42 gallon hex tank and used this as the overflow and return. https://www.amazon.com/Tom-Aquatics...&qid=1502140624&sr=1-4&keywords=toms+overflow
I don't have as much room on the back of my tank and this would fit in the area I had to work with. It has auto siphon start. The only issue is making sure you have enough water in the sump to start the siphon. The sump I have is a little less than 10 gallon. As long as I don't divert too much flow from the return pump to reactors I don't have an issue on startup. My siphon break is in the back compartment of the overflow above the waterline. There was a cover for it, but I left it off. It makes it eaiser to check the flow to make sure it is not clogged. Make sure and clean the siphon break hole on a regular basis. I try and do it once a week with one of these.

IMG_1587.JPG

They are ment for cleaning teeth but work great cleaning the small siphon break hole.

OP
OP
Gramps13

Gramps13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bob-
The tank is a 40 breeder. I have an ATO. It is basically a DIY job. I had originally bought it from autotopoff.com but the relay went bad. So I wired up my own relay/block and used their float switch.

Danny-
Thanks for the suggestion for the overflow. That is an excellent idea on the tooth/syphon cleaner.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back