Grant's Fluval Evo 13.5 Build!

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fits perfectly. I actually switched it to chamber 2 because I rather the filter floss actually catch things. And it's not loud. Pulls a ton of skimmate as well.
Skimmer is now in my hands - you originally had an Intank chamber 2 basket I believe? Did you find that the filter floss wasn't catching anything resulting in switching to use chamber 1 (assume you bought an InTank chamber 1 basket now?).

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer is now in my hands - you originally had an Intank chamber 2 basket I believe? Did you find that the filter floss wasn't catching anything resulting in switching to use chamber 1 (assume you bought an InTank chamber 1 basket now?).
yes filter floss was pointless in chamber 2. and no I modified my chamber 2 to fit in chamber one.
also my water level is about 1.5inches from the top of the glass

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes filter floss was pointless in chamber 2. and no I modified my chamber 2 to fit in chamber one.
also my water level is about 1.5inches from the top of the glass
Ok, I got rid of the Inktank chamber 2 and set up Chamber 1 back for all filtration and have the skimmer installed on chamber 2 - guess I should have thought this through before forking out $$ for the Intank Chamber #2.

New to skimming and all, and would appreciate any tips you can offer on using this particular skimmer:

1. I turned the "Water adjustment knob", so that there's bubbles up to the collection cup - not quite reaching the top, but close - is this correct?

2. Assuming I"m not home, what happens if the Collection Cup fills up with water? I"m not using a drain hose, so it's plugged up with the 'red' tab that it's included.

Thanks much!

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it'll take a bit to break in and work properly. expect to see

Ok, I got rid of the Inktank chamber 2 and set up Chamber 1 back for all filtration and have the skimmer installed on chamber 2 - guess I should have thought this through before forking out $$ for the Intank Chamber #2.

New to skimming and all, and would appreciate any tips you can offer on using this particular skimmer:

1. I turned the "Water adjustment knob", so that there's bubbles up to the collection cup - not quite reaching the top, but close - is this correct?

2. Assuming I"m not home, what happens if the Collection Cup fills up with water? I"m not using a drain hose, so it's plugged up with the 'red' tab that it's included.

Thanks much!
it'll take a bit to break in and work properly. expect to see a lot of microbubbles for the first like 2 weeks. I keep the water level line slight above where the tank water sits on the skimmer. I don't want very wet skimmate. in the beginning you'll have to empty it more often.

2. expect overflow then. you'll have to use the drain plug for the first couple of weeks if you can't be home into a collection cup or something.

you can easily alter chamber 2 to fit with chamber 1. you just have to cut a slit into the middle of the piece so it slides down into chamber 1.

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it'll take a bit to break in and work properly. expect to see

it'll take a bit to break in and work properly. expect to see a lot of microbubbles for the first like 2 weeks. I keep the water level line slight above where the tank water sits on the skimmer. I don't want very wet skimmate. in the beginning you'll have to empty it more often.

2. expect overflow then. you'll have to use the drain plug for the first couple of weeks if you can't be home into a collection cup or something.

you can easily alter chamber 2 to fit with chamber 1. you just have to cut a slit into the middle of the piece so it slides down into chamber 1.
Thanks - notice the skimmer is settling a bit better already.

Does your Sicce 0.5 have a significant hum to it?

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no very quiet. maybe you have it bumming up against the glass?
I didn't think so, but I just checked and it was just touching the glass slightly - it's definitely quieter now after moving it a bit, but I hear just the humming sound, which I'm assuming is the norm as all AC pumps would have this.

Thanks!

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't think so, but I just checked and it was just touching the glass slightly - it's definitely quieter now after moving it a bit, but I hear just the humming sound, which I'm assuming is the norm as all AC pumps would have this.

Thanks!
I mean my tank definitely isn't dead quiet, but it's not loud enough to hear unless I'm right up on it.

RaymondL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean my tank definitely isn't dead quiet, but it's not loud enough to hear unless I'm right up on it.
Same here...I spent the morning trying to make it as quiet as possible - put a silicone mat at bottom of pump - hardly made a difference really given what most people say will dampen the hum. I'm looking into DC pumps as a potential replacement, but none really fit the EVO.

Skimmer is behaving erratically, which I assume is normal and part of the break in - sometimes there's bubbles reaching 1/4 into the chute of the collection cup chute, and sometimes barely. You mentioned this can take up to 2 weeks, which after then what can I expect to happen, or what do I need to do? Thx

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here...I spent the morning trying to make it as quiet as possible - put a silicone mat at bottom of pump - hardly made a difference really given what most people say will dampen the hum. I'm looking into DC pumps as a potential replacement, but none really fit the EVO.

Skimmer is behaving erratically, which I assume is normal and part of the break in - sometimes there's bubbles reaching 1/4 into the chute of the collection cup chute, and sometimes barely. You mentioned this can take up to 2 weeks, which after then what can I expect to happen, or what do I need to do? Thx
it'll be broken inm aning easier time adjusting to your liking.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - notice the skimmer is settling a bit better already.

Does your Sicce 0.5 have a significant hum to it?
mine did i replaced it with tmc reef-pump compact 500 completely silent needed to be as my coral tank is in my bedroom

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why did you replace the firefish and goby? how is the wrasse working out? and how are the torches doing?

I have a similar tank and am thinking about a torch...

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
why did you replace the firefish and goby? how is the wrasse working out? and how are the torches doing?

I have a similar tank and am thinking about a torch...
all of the torches are doing fine. one is a little unhappy looking currently but it's also splitting into 5 heads from 3 so not sure if that's contributing to it. six line is a model citizen. goby ended up dying. firefish went back to the store and was replaced with a starry blenny.

transferring everything to a IM NUVO 40 after it finished cycling.

Dave Clark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a few months later ... so I ordered a Fluval Evo 13.5 gal and am curious as to how that Sicce pump is working out for you? I've been reading posts about it in this forum and am hearing different things regarding its noise level. Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
TheReefDiary

TheReefDiary

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a few months later ... so I ordered a Fluval Evo 13.5 gal and am curious as to how that Sicce pump is working out for you? I've been reading posts about it in this forum and am hearing different things regarding its noise level. Thanks in advance.
quiet as could be no issues. I actually just broke down the tank and moved to a 40g.

willnow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone my name is Grant! I'm going to be posting my tank build here as the process goes along. Currently have most of the equipment and things I need to get the tank going. Just waiting on a few more items.

About to start cycling the tank tomorrow once the sand arrives. Going to be using fritz turbo 900 to get the cycle going.

Will be posting pictures of the aquascape tomorrow. Really happy with the pieces of CaribSea liferock that I got.

Tank: Fluval Evo 13.5
Pump: Sicce .5
Protein Skimmer: MiniQ Nano - Bubble Magnus
InTank 2nd Chamber Media Basket: Seacham Purigen, Chemi Pure Blue, Fluval Biofilter Media
Heater: Fluval M100
Powerhead: hygger mini wave maker (Amazon, but decent reviews)
Light: currently using tank light (14k led) - will eventually upgrade
Life Rock: 2 Arches, 1 Base, Frag Pieces
Sand: Arag Alive Special Grade
Water: Imagitarium Salt Water (Until My RO/DI arrives) has solid levels and decent reviews
You'll want to upgrade the stock light to Fluval Sea Marine 15"-22" for $150 on amazon. It fits stock lid and completely customizable

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 53.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back