Grape Caulerpa attracting GHA?

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s a weird one.

I keep a variety of mixed Macroalgae in my fuge as a fun collection and have all sort. Chaeto/ulva/hypnea/red graci/ogo/dragons breath/fern caulerpa/grape caulerpa

My tank has zero GHA or similar ID in the display.

EA6254EF-3767-4D0D-B3AE-506C591A6EED.jpeg

Not have I seen anything similar to this elsewhere in the whole system until the other day when pruning

C07C1935-CDE6-4BB9-A5BF-A0DF7B936066.jpeg

E3AB9AF4-EFB8-4F10-9D05-D3F3AE15068B.jpeg

Specifically ONLY on my grape caulerpa I have some sort of green hair algae taking up residence, and as much as I’m happy it’s going on down here over up top, it is odd to me. I did a manual pull of some of it but it’s quite tedious with the fragile macro. Should I keep yanking it out? Learned floating it and grabbing is better than trying to do it on a plate.

Here’s the whole fuge so you can get an idea. Should I just let it happen? First time I’ve had something go sideways in the “second display”

05C97443-D6B3-4E23-8273-B85CA3BE88F2.jpeg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By Grape caulerpa, I assume you are referring to Botryocladia (which is not true Caulerpa) and not Caulerpa racemosa or Caulerpa lentillifera?
I am not completely sure, but the Botryocladia does not seem to be doing so well (lack of ”grapes” attached to the stipes) and perhaps this is spurring the GHA growth, which is further weakening it (in my experience, weakened Botryocladia is a great attractor of epiphytes). Additionally, perhaps this is an indicator that more refugium CUC is necessary (the CUC you listed on another thread seem too large to climb the Botryocladia; I would always recommend Dove snails for the job, which are usually, but not always available on Reef Cleaners).

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By Grape caulerpa, I assume you are referring to Botryocladia (which is not true Caulerpa) and not Caulerpa racemosa or Caulerpa lentillifera?
I am not completely sure, but the Botryocladia does not seem to be doing so well (lack of ”grapes” attached to the stipes) and perhaps this is spurring the GHA growth, which is further weakening it (in my experience, weakened Botryocladia is a great attractor of epiphytes). Additionally, perhaps this is an indicator that more refugium CUC is necessary (the CUC you listed on another thread seem too large to climb the Botryocladia; I would always recommend Dove snails for the job, which are usually, but not always available on Reef Cleaners).

Man, I always called it grape caulerpa, I could be wrong, it is the dark blood red with little grape like structures on the stems. I will have to Google these for ID.

I responded before I read your whole post though, hold on. Lol

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It was doing well but recently started this direction, I will definitely grab some more cuc. Should I keep manual removal up or just grab some cuc and let it fly

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

And yes it is botryo

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have an order on the way of a ton of nerites and some Astrea, will nerites do anything for me or should I put in for dove? Reef cleaners is empty :(

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, I always called it grape caulerpa, I could be wrong, it is the dark blood red with little grape like structures on the stems. I will have to Google these for ID.
To be fair, Botryocladia is sometimes called “Red grape caulerpa” as well as Sea grapes, Red grape, Red grape algae, and Red grape kelp (though it is also not kelp; that title belongs to brown macroalgae species in the order Laminariales).
It was doing well but recently started this direction, I will definitely grab some more cuc. Should I keep manual removal up or just grab some cuc and let it fly
To be safe, I would do both.
I have an order on the way of a ton of nerites and some Astrea, will nerites do anything for me or should I put in for dove? Reef cleaners is empty :(
Personally, I have no experience with marine Nerites, but @EverydayAquarist has stated that they could work. He doesn’t seem to be active on Reef2Reef, but he could probably give you advice if you reply to one of his recent YouTube videos. Dwarf cerith might also work, but I have heard they might consume macroalgae. Oh, and if you are curious, I found some Dove snails available here:
https://www.liverocknreef.com/catal...ove-snail-pictocolumbella-ocellata-11433.html

OP
OP
HeyLookItsCaps

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be fair, Botryocladia is sometimes called “Red grape caulerpa” as well as Sea grapes, Red grape, Red grape algae, and Red grape kelp (though it is also not kelp; that title belongs to brown macroalgae species in the order Laminariales).

To be safe, I would do both.

Personally, I have no experience with marine Nerites, but @EverydayAquarist has stated that they could work. He doesn’t seem to be active on Reef2Reef, but he could probably give you advice if you reply to one of his recent YouTube videos. Dwarf cerith might also work, but I have heard they might consume macroalgae. Oh, and if you are curious, I found some Dove snails available here:
https://www.liverocknreef.com/catal...ove-snail-pictocolumbella-ocellata-11433.html

You’re the man, as always.

When are you gonna get the Farley and Hemdal title?!

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 15 41.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back