Grapetorch/microtorch - what colors are out there and what can you place close to them?

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I bought a Micronesian torch yesterday from Petco. Three big heads and looked in pretty OK condition. At first I wasn’t convinced it was a torch… but after some research I realized that grape or micro torches are a thing I fed it and it’s already looking a lot fuller and swaying happy in the current. I absolutely love the look of it and I was wondering if there are other brighter colors out there? If you have any, could you share a picture with me? Is it safe to place an encrusting type of montipora on the rock beneath as it has shorter polyps? Thanks!
B3A56E31-708F-4BB5-A7CA-92DEDFEE8702.jpeg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
no idea of the colors out there, but i'd assume they are identical if not close to whatever torch colors are out there. i would treat placement/spacing exactly as you would any torch/hammer/etc coral.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no idea of the colors out there, but i'd assume they are identical if not close to whatever torch colors are out there. i would treat placement/spacing exactly as you would any torch/hammer/etc coral.
It looks like their tentacles can’t touch the bottom of the rock… so something low growing might be placed next to it? I know they have sweeper tentacles… but never seen any on my corals so I have no idea how far these can stretch

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
i would suggest against putting a monti or encrusting type under it. eventually once it grows more heads, or extends it sweepers/tentacles it will eventually start touching whatever is around it. also, the monti will likely take off and encrust everywhere unless you maintain it small/trimmed.

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would suggest against putting a monti or encrusting type under it. eventually once it grows more heads, or extends it sweepers/tentacles it will eventually start touching whatever is around it. also, the monti will likely take off and encrust everywhere unless you maintain it small/trimmed.
Thanks for the advice. I’ll probably look for similar types then to place next to it. They should do fine next to one another right?

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
isn’t that the same as a cristata or is the new name micro torch?
I have no idea… Looking up info I found all three labeling this type of coral Cristata/grape/micro-torch I never even heard of it till i bought it

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I’ll probably look for similar types then to place next to it. They should do fine next to one another right?
theoretically, yes. unsure if this specific coral is just mislabeled, or if there is a new "species/sub-species". i've definitely seen the "cristata" mentioned here and there, but know very little. i came to the hobby when hammers and torches were in the same "family", and now they aren't lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back