Great reefer quotes

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey id like to start a thread about posts or quotes from people on the web that really made a difference. It can be something that made you understand something well, or sometning that made you change your reefing philosophy. Reef related of course. The only thing id like to see is the subject line above the post. I'll start.

Algae:

"
Algae is never caused by one thing. It needs ALL of a source of nitrogen, phosphate, various trace elements (e.g., iron), sufficient light, a place to grow, freedom from herbivores, etc. An excessively high amount of any of these isn't likely to make algae any worse than if there is simply "enough".

If you take away any one of those, the problem will recede, and different reefers achieve less algae using a variety of these different requirements.

It is certainly possible that the algae is taking up any available phosphate. It may also be getting it locally from the skeletons it is attached to (at least for a while, till that source is depleted)."

Randy Holmes farley

TvanB1

Mostly Fish; Few breeding projects underway
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish:

Fish are not disposable commodities, but a worthwhile investment that can be maintained and enjoyed for many years, providing one is willing to take the time to understand their requirements and needs

-Dmorty217
(from another reefing forum)

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I think there should be something in reef hobby called the "reindeer effect." I don't know what it would be, but I think it'd be good to hear someone say, "Gentlemen, what we have here is a terrifying example of the reindeer effect.""

Jack Handey

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@saltyfilmfolks
You forgot one
Patients:

"Nothing good happens fast in this hobby only bad things happen overnight, if you think you go slow, slow down even more" - Diesel

:D

OP
OP
Cory

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare bottom reef tanks vs sand

"Oh, I see. You think they are gorgeous - but somehow lacking. Missing that certain little something. Now what would that one thing be??

OH, I know. Something on the bottom to trap and hold nutrients and dirt. Something to potentially leak those nutrients back into the system and potentially kill off some of your most expensive animals.
Something you have no control over whether it does that or not.

There's no way to test it, there's no way to tell ahead of time that it's not working right. The way it lets you know that it's not working right - is by not working right!

BOMBER another site

Took all my sand out the next day lol

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Umm, I dunno, about 10 bucks?"
--any reefer who's spouse just asked how much that Homewrecker frag cost.

tumblr_ouyvjpMTcQ1qd838bo2_1280.jpg

Faisal27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me :

when I sit and explain to my wife(trying to get her interested in the Hobby) pointing at the new black tang the beauty behind the black tang and why it costs so much for a full 15 mins and her first response is “ I like red more and points to a picture of colorful goby and says if u can replace it with the colorful goby in the lfs it would bring more color to the tank “

Last edited:

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 33.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 32.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%
Back