Great stores in/around ATL?

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm looking for recommendations for great fish/coral stores in and around Atlanta. I'm mostly interested in fish right now, but would love to see some nice coral, too. TIA!

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm looking for recommendations for great fish/coral stores in and around Atlanta. I'm mostly interested in fish right now, but would love to see some nice coral, too. TIA!
Pure Reef in Alpharetta, off highway 9. Of all of the stores I've visited in the area, they are consistently the best. They have a fantastic fish-only selection as well as a good selection of coral and inverts. The only problem with them is that, due to their area, they upcharge a decent bit over other stores. But it's honestly worth it for the quality of the livestock and customer service.
there was a store in Woodstock that I used to visit, it's called Creation Pet & Reef, and it used to be an absolutely fantastic store. However, change of management came along in mid 2016 and the store went from a reef store to a "general pet store", and the quality of all of their offerings have plummeted to crap.

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pure Reef in Alpharetta, off highway 9. Of all of the stores I've visited in the area, they are consistently the best. They have a fantastic fish-only selection as well as a good selection of coral and inverts. The only problem with them is that, due to their area, they upcharge a decent bit over other stores. But it's honestly worth it for the quality of the livestock and customer service.
there was a store in Woodstock that I used to visit, it's called Creation Pet & Reef, and it used to be an absolutely fantastic store. However, change of management came along in mid 2016 and the store went from a reef store to a "general pet store", and the quality of all of their offerings have plummeted to crap.
I'll definitely check out Pure Reef! Thanks for including places I should avoid, too! I'm only going to be in town for 3 days, so I don't want to waste time at bad stores. :)

Rednamalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally am a fan of Nemo's Aquarium. I have gone to Nemo's for upwards of four years at this point and I have rarely ever received a sick fish. Their coral selection isn't massive but I can usually find what I'm looking for as long as it isn't too specific or hard to find. While I haven't personally gone, I've heard great things about Pure Reef and I intend to go at some point. Hope this helps.

TDiefRN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've been to most in north ATL area prefer Nemo's and Reef Shak.
Nemo's only has a Facebook page so here's a screenshot of the Google search.
Edit: yes Pure reef in Alpharetta too!

Screenshot_20220105-140710_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally am a fan of Nemo's Aquarium. I have gone to Nemo's for upwards of four years at this point and I have rarely ever received a sick fish. Their coral selection isn't massive but I can usually find what I'm looking for as long as it isn't too specific or hard to find. While I haven't personally gone, I've heard great things about Pure Reef and I intend to go at some point. Hope this helps.
Thank you! Healthy fish are absolutely a priority for me! I'm looking for the first fish(es) for my new tank, and while I plan on QTing, it would definitely make it easier to start with healthy fish!

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We've been to most in north ATL area prefer Nemo's and Reef Shak.
Nemo's only has a Facebook page so here's a screenshot of the Google search.
Edit: yes Pure reef in Alpharetta too!

Screenshot_20220105-140710_Chrome.jpg

Does Reef Shac have fish too? Or only corals? Thanks for your input!

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience with The Fish Store in Chamblee? It looks like they have a lot of stock!

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pure Reef and Reef Shac. Been to both when I used to live there. Pure Reef is a phenomenal store. I bought the majority of fish form PR when I lived in Atlanta. Spotless facility and always very friendly.

Reef Shac is a great guy to talk with. He was just getting started as I moved away though.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nemos...two locations, pure reef, reef shack (they have fish and update on Facebook every tuesday, you can order also). Optimum in kennesaw is decent. Creation in woodstock usually has healthy fish but coral selection is lackluster. There's one in Athens I've heard good things about but have never been there.

DiefsReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DiefsReef @TDiefRN
help the young lady out.
Sorry I didn't see this yesterday!
Does Reef Shac have fish too? Or only corals? Thanks for your input!
Yes but only a very small selection of fish. This is a great place to look at some coral if you are in the area with great prices but very small compared to other. I like to go just to chat with Chris is hes there. So much knowledge and eager to share!
Does anyone have any experience with The Fish Store in Chamblee? It looks like they have a lot of stock!
I have never been but heard good things about it and they have a large store. https://www.thefishstore.com/

like my wife @TDiefRN said, are goto are usually Nemo's and Pure Reef. I saw someone mentioned Atlanta Aquarium in Duluth. He has lots of great coral but not much in fish selection anymore.
My suggestion would be to plan out where you are heading and hit the stores in that area.
North East side would be Atlanta Aquarium, Nemo's
West side (Kennesaw/Marietta/Alpharetta) would be Pure Reef, Reef Shack, Premier Aquatics, Optimum Aquarium but I am not a fan of Optimum.
If your looking for just fish, I would go to Pure Reef first Premier Aquatics or Nemo's second but I've always wanted to check out The Fish Store in chamblee.
We are very luck in our area to have many lfs to chose from but they are scattered around :)
Winded but hope this helps!

Rednamalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say, I've been to the fish store a couple of times and I had good experiences overall, but last time I went they seemed to be closed. Haven't gone back since, but I heard they shut their doors, but I'm not sure if there's any truth to that.

OP
OP
Seachelle

Seachelle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I didn't see this yesterday!

Yes but only a very small selection of fish. This is a great place to look at some coral if you are in the area with great prices but very small compared to other. I like to go just to chat with Chris is hes there. So much knowledge and eager to share!

I have never been but heard good things about it and they have a large store. https://www.thefishstore.com/

like my wife @TDiefRN said, are goto are usually Nemo's and Pure Reef. I saw someone mentioned Atlanta Aquarium in Duluth. He has lots of great coral but not much in fish selection anymore.
My suggestion would be to plan out where you are heading and hit the stores in that area.
North East side would be Atlanta Aquarium, Nemo's
West side (Kennesaw/Marietta/Alpharetta) would be Pure Reef, Reef Shack, Premier Aquatics, Optimum Aquarium but I am not a fan of Optimum.
If your looking for just fish, I would go to Pure Reef first Premier Aquatics or Nemo's second but I've always wanted to check out The Fish Store in chamblee.
We are very luck in our area to have many lfs to chose from but they are scattered around :)
Winded but hope this helps!
This is amazing help! Thank you!!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back