Great way to open powder reagent sachets

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out this great video showcasing our HI736 ULR Phosphorus Checker test procedure and easy way to use our powder reagent sachets.

Here are some tips to help with using the HI713 Low Range Phosphate Checker and HI736 ULR Phosphorus Checker.

1. Prepare your powder reagent sachet prior to turning on the meter
-The method used in the video below illustrates a great way to open our reagent packets
-cut open packet and make sure all powder is ready to pour before starting the test
-use a clean spatula or similar tool to help move reagent into the fold and remove any stuck powder from corners of sachet.

2. Use a timer for mixing powder
-this helps improve precision and accuracy as the phosphate/phosphorus test uses a time sensitive reaction

3. Use a microfiber cloth when grabbing cuvettes
-when removing the cuvettes from the Checker grab the cap, not the glass
-When twisting off the cap hold the cuvette while grasping a cloth
-always clean the cuvette glass prior to inserting inside the meter

Last edited:

Cubed Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fan of flicking pack to settle everything cut top open then peel down the sides slowly opening the entire packet then emptying onto a 3x5 card and getting into the curvette. allows me to get every spec of reagent. Sound like a task but really isnt.

OP
OP
Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fan of flicking pack to settle everything cut top open then peel down the sides slowly opening the entire packet then emptying onto a 3x5 card and getting into the curvette. allows me to get every spec of reagent. Sound like a task but really isnt.

That is certainly an effective way to do it as well, so long as the card being used doesn't have any residual powder from a previous test, is clean of potential contaminants or coatings.

Cubed Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is certainly an effective way to do it as well, so long as the card being used doesn't have any residual powder from a previous test, is clean of potential contaminants or coatings.
Yes I use a fresh card every time, I have seen more consistent results this way for me at least. The microfiber cloth is a must though.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything preventing a liquid form for the reagent? That's the number one issue with the PO4 checkers, getting all that dang powder out of the packet and into the cuvette.

OP
OP
Hanna Instruments

Hanna Instruments

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything preventing a liquid form for the reagent? That's the number one issue with the PO4 checkers, getting all that dang powder out of the packet and into the cuvette.

We will look into this, currently when the reagent is mixed with water the timed chemical reaction starts. This is why the Checker has a timer built in after C2 phase. We also found that having the reagent in its current state allows for maximum shelf life stability and more resistance to environmental changes which might cause inaccurate results from degrading reagent.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 99 76.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back