Green algae after water change

harsha22

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 16, 2022
Messages
58
Reaction score
13
Location
Burlington, Ontario
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I use RO water, perform bi-weekly water change.
I notice green algae on the rocks right after my water changes. The RO filters are 3 months old and not fully used to their capacity.

What I did notice was, if I don't change the water for 4 weeks the water was relatively better than 2 week water changes.
I dose MB7, occasionally Razor and reef bio fuel that helps the skimmer. I also use No3 and Bio cubes from Brightwell. The bio dosing seems to be helping me with delayed water changes.

But why am I seeing algae bloom right after a water change?
I have a 30 Gallon drum of saltwater that I use for water changes. Is it because the water is not circulated inside there is a cause of algae blooming there?
 
I don’t know?
what type of green algae are blooming? Maybe a picture?

Sounds like you should do fewer water changes?!

Lets see what other people say.
 
I don’t know?
what type of green algae are blooming? Maybe a picture?

Sounds like you should do fewer water changes?!

Lets see what other people say.
BTW, the nitrate, phosphate, calcium, mg, alk and PH were all in the right parameters even after 4 weeks of no water change.
 

Attachments

  • unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    268.8 KB · Views: 90
Cool! New Tank. I just set up a fish tank, first month no issues. Then I added corals and with the light the algae & diatoms have started blooming. Looks similar to your situation. I would guess you are dealing with diatoms that bloom with new water from the silicates in the new mix?
 
Cool! New Tank. I just set up a fish tank, first month no issues. Then I added corals and with the light the algae & diatoms have started blooming. Looks similar to your situation. I would guess you are dealing with diatoms that bloom with new water from the silicates in the new mix?
I believe that is what is happening. I discussed the same on another thread thinking the algae was because delayed water change, looks like it is the opposite. For now planning to use red slime and then along with MB Razor and clean to clear the bloom.
Regular carbon dose, Microbactor clean and Razor just like how i used to see how long I can go without a water change, all the while testing the water.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new