Green and Brown Algae aggravating my frags

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown stuff on my hammer has this thing so closed up now, should I dip it? What is this stuff?

Most of the tank is dealing with a green looking hair algae.

Parameters:
Nitrates 10-20
Phosphate .04-.06
Alk 9
Salinity 35
Temp 78

Up until this morning my phosphates had been dead solid at .16. Couldnt get it down no matter what I did. Finally installed GFO and overnight my phosphates dropped. I run 2 media reactors back to back (GFO to Carbon) and back into the tank via a sea swirl. I dose NoPox and Phyto. I dose All for Reef with my Alkatronic. Guess I can stop NoPox now that my phosphates and nitrates are better.

Anyways it’s a 50 gallon RedSea e-170 AIO. It’s a bare bottom tank. I run a CO2 scrubber off my skimmer in the back of the tank so my ph averages around a 8.0.

What else can be done to get rid of this algae, these frags aren’t looking good. Maybe more snails? I feed HPD once daily so I am no where near over feeding but I still can’t get rid of this algae. I am starting to see signs of coralline growing.

Do I just need to relax and wait it out or actively go after something. Hoping my reduced phosphates will finally help with some of this.

3900B662-46A4-45D2-987B-F90B2E655EE8.jpeg AAD1E8BF-DB83-42D4-9778-37FB78E0BC6B.jpeg 9DD9A111-CDF9-432D-B5D6-58745317B1E5.jpeg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown is prob cyano bacteria. It does not like high flow. You can wipe it off or siphon it out.

Maybe a clean up crew with a few urchins and a conch for the green stuff?

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some like the photo at the bottom that has overtaken a couple of green star polyp colonies. I haven’t seen it on anything else but it’s frustrating.
I would also be interested in knowing what it is.
We are about to buy some clean up crew, so it would be nice to know who to get.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back