Green as my tank… Greetings

webuhgnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

(Tank is no longer green after 2 days with a green killing thing.. just for the record lol)

I am 2 months in on my tank, and I can’t say it’s going very well. I oscillate between excitement and love and “what was I thinking”.

I was on a marine biology course trip in FL, SC and NC and brought home a couple hermit crabs for my kids (and a vacant whelk with macro and feather dusters and barnacles)… I remembered having a hermit as a kid and how low key it was. Terrestrial hermits are low key. I’ve spent a boatload of money and time trying to keep these guys alive. I learned that I shouldn’t have even attempted to put animals in the tank until it had been cycling for 6 months. Lots of oops along the way.

At this time I have a 20 gallon tank with 3 striped hermits, a gastropod of some sort residing on one of the shells, a few different macroalgaes, one small plug of soft coral polyps, 2 peppermint shrimp, 2 nautilus snails, 1 Mexican turbo, and a large anemone that was attached to the live rock. There’s a myriad of copepods as well.

While I wasn’t planning this and it’s way more than I knew I was signing up for, I’m kind of in love. I don’t want any fish and plan to keep it strictly invert. In my ideal world it would be a low-maintenance, self-cycling system that is teeming with life.. but maybe that’s not really possible. At this time, I’m just trying to achieve a balanced situation and figure out the right amount of food/nutrient inputs.

Anyways, I’m very open to opinions and/or reading suggestions!

Cheers,
Kari

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 8.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back