Green Birdsnest Dying...

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stray32
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Stray32

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 13, 2009
Messages
1,081
Reaction score
5
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My awesome ORA Green Birdsnest colony is dying from the base up, and I don't know why. I haven't checked my water (I know I know), but I just did a 20% water change last week, and everything else in the tank seems happy.

What is a likely cause? Is there anything I can do to stop the death? Should I trim off all of the live branches and hope for the best? :cry: :cry:
 
Well i would check your water... prob your Alk/Ca ratio is off. Its usally #1 culprit of stony's going bad IMO
 
my first reaction would have been to grab for the alk test kit rather than the keyboard...

lol
 
Honestly I started losing mine as well when I had adjusted my flow in my tank. I readjusted it to where it was getting nice flow to the base and it recovered.
 
Honestly I started losing mine as well when I had adjusted my flow in my tank. I readjusted it to where it was getting nice flow to the base and it recovered.

I'm gonna have to try that. I grew this thing from a wee frag to a gorgeous softball sized colony...I'd hate to lose to.
 
Did you change any flow?
 
+1 on double checking the ALK. i've had this happen with one of my acros (i dont have birdnest) when i got a little lazy with my testing. once i corrected the alk, it recovered. Best of luck regardless of the cause.
 
I trimmed off a few big frags from the colony, hopefully these will survive and I can start again. It was nearly completely lost when I got home today, so the colony was beyond help unfortunately.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 3.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new