Green Bubble Tip Anemone expelling intestines.

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I received a green bubble tip anemone from LiveAquaria today and it looks as though it has expelled its intestines during shipping. I’ve never had a nem do this and I was wondering what the likelihood of survival is with this case. The good news is I can see it moving it’s tentacles on its own and it has attached itself to a shell quite firmly. I placed it there as it is in a general area I thought it would be most comfortable. I’m assuming FedEx was pretty rough with the shipping process on this and that is why it has expelled it’s intestines in the first place. I appreciate any responses in advance.
AC29AEBC-0F76-43E6-BE78-1E09D5E3BAF7.jpeg

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine to me. The 2 biggest things you need to worry about is if the foot attaches and if it's mouth is gaping. Those are the signs that things are going badly. You won't be able to force the foot to attach, but it should attach shortly and after that point it'll move where it wants.

OP
OP
B

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine to me. The 2 biggest things you need to worry about is if the foot attaches and if it's mouth is gaping. Those are the signs that things are going badly. You won't be able to force the foot to attach, but it should attach shortly and after that point it'll move where it wants.
Thanks for the info. It had attached its foot to my glove I was using to put it in the setup and when I was able to gently convince it to let go it attached itself to a shell quite firmly and very quickly. My only concern is that it has basically vomited it’s intestines. It seems to be doing fine other than that.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. It had attached its foot to my glove I was using to put it in the setup and when I was able to gently convince it to let go it attached itself to a shell quite firmly and very quickly. My only concern is that it has basically vomited it’s intestines. It seems to be doing fine other than that.

Never had that issue directly, but they do expel brown stuff from time to time. Sounds like it's going to be fine.

OP
OP
B

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an updated image. I moved it to an area with a little less flow to see if that may help it get itself together a little better and then it can move wherever it pleases if it survives. You can see the intestinal matter I’m talking about much more clearly here.

Attachments

• F788236F-6150-42EF-A414-F94702DA31AF.jpeg
    F788236F-6150-42EF-A414-F94702DA31AF.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 117

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s an updated image. I moved it to an area with a little less flow to see if that may help it get itself together a little better and then it can move wherever it pleases if it survives. You can see the intestinal matter I’m talking about much more clearly here.

Yeah, sorry I don't know. I've never experienced that personally. Maybe someone else will know something.

If you see it start to look like it's melting, remove it. But if the foot holds and such, just keep monitoring is all I know to do.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows it looking. Nems be weird.

OP
OP
B

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hows it looking. Nems be weird.
I honestly have no idea. It disappeared after a few hours and I have no idea where it went. I have turned the system upside down looking for it but have found nothing. It didn’t end up in my filters, powerhead, or overflow. I didn’t find it on the live rock either. My ammonia readings didn’t spike or anything so I’m assuming it’s still in there somewhere but I have no idea where it is. I would figure if it crawled somewhere and died that by now I would be able to see some signs but I’m not noticing anything at all. It’s just a mystery.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly have no idea. It disappeared after a few hours and I have no idea where it went. I have turned the system upside down looking for it but have found nothing. It didn’t end up in my filters, powerhead, or overflow. I didn’t find it on the live rock either. My ammonia readings didn’t spike or anything so I’m assuming it’s still in there somewhere but I have no idea where it is. I would figure if it crawled somewhere and died that by now I would be able to see some signs but I’m not noticing anything at all. It’s just a mystery.

Doesn't sound good. They are actually pretty small in size without all the water in them, but I often hear about them disappearing in the rocks and people never seeing them again.

Good luck, I hope it shows up.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will hide if splitting. How old is your system

OP
OP
B

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is 5-6 months old. It is a DIY upgrade from a 2 year old system I had running. I moved all the original live rock and water over from that system to get things started and let it cycle for two weeks before moving all of my livestock over. I got them nem from live aquaria the day I made this thread. Haven’t seen it since.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system is 5-6 months old. It is a DIY upgrade from a 2 year old system I had running. I moved all the original live rock and water over from that system to get things started and let it cycle for two weeks before moving all of my livestock over. I got them nem from live aquaria the day I made this thread. Haven’t seen it since.
That give more insight to what's going on. It seems like live aquaria serious issues with live stock lately. Bta are pretty easy to come by. I would source on from a local reefer.

If you lived in my neck of the woods I would work something out with you

OP
OP
B

Bolen2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That give more insight to what's going on. It seems like live aquaria serious issues with live stock lately. Bta are pretty easy to come by. I would source on from a local reefer.

If you lived in my neck of the woods I would work something out with you
See that’s the thing though. I have only one LFS around that provides saltwater of any quality slightly above rock bottom and that’s petco. And I don’t know of anyone else around that has a reef setup where I live. I’m certain there are people here that have them but they’re hard to find. The people I did know that had them have taken them down because of the rising prices of livestock. So my only real option to obtain livestock that is half decent is through internet retailers like LiveAquaria or Saltwaterfish. I’ve had roughly a 75% success rate with them so far and I finally did receive a live and healthy little BTA but it’s extremely small. Still have no idea where the other guy went I looked all over with no signs.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that’s the thing though. I have only one LFS around that provides saltwater of any quality slightly above rock bottom and that’s petco. And I don’t know of anyone else around that has a reef setup where I live. I’m certain there are people here that have them but they’re hard to find. The people I did know that had them have taken them down because of the rising prices of livestock. So my only real option to obtain livestock that is half decent is through internet retailers like LiveAquaria or Saltwaterfish. I’ve had roughly a 75% success rate with them so far and I finally did receive a live and healthy little BTA but it’s extremely small. Still have no idea where the other guy went I looked all over with no signs.
Where do you reside.

Back