Green Chromis Dying need help

jfenton954

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I just ordered 12 chromis and 2 purple fire fish and 1 red fairy wrasse. The wrasse and fire fish are doing good the chromis are dying slowly I've lost 4 and one is laying on the bottom now. I just got them Tuesday drip acclimated them 4+ hours to my hypo-salinity qt tank 1.009. They seem to have scales missing an area is pinkish white. Please help.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418320863.874638.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418320876.440551.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418320884.023244.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418320905.642365.jpg

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics are a bit fuzzy but look like Ammonia burn to me. Did all the Chromis come shipped in a single bag ? If so the hypo is probably not a good thing until they have a healthy slime-coat again.

Cheers, Todd

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's one of the hardest parasites to "cure" as it hasn't been studied thoroughly (like ich) and always seems to come back no matter what you do (IMO). So, almost everything that is known about it comes from anecdotal experience. Supposedly it doesn't even need a host to continue it's life cycle. Once it gets into a tank, it is there as long as the tank is setup, but is opportunistic and only strikes when a fish's immune system has been compromised.

Best treatment option is metronidazole. I have had some success treating with that. I've also seen acriflavine mentioned as a possible treatment; but I have no experience using that medication. Chloroquine phosphate also treats Uronema, but that is very difficult to obtain. Whereas metro is widely available - sold by Seachem, API General Cure contains it, etc.

These fish need to be treated with metro ASAP or most, if not all, will likely perish.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, I would not use any of the above medications in a reef tank with corals/inverts. Treatment needs to take place in a QT.

ChristopherKriens

Unknown Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't tried the above methods, but I found formalin to be effective in combination with keeping the bottom of the tank very clean. The bacterium can sustain itself and multiply solely on detritus.

Last edited:

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering if they are suffering from something to do with ammonia as well - that is an awful lot of fish to add to a QT at one time and then the lower salinity would cause additional stress.......

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also add that while chromis are cheap and it seems a lot of people use them to test the waters I have found them to be sensitive to newer systems and do far better in established tanks.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 18 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back