Green Chromis

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up 3 green chromis last week and well of course one of them became aggressive and killed one and injured the other. I caught the 2 remaining and my question is if I keep one will it most likely be peaceful? Or will it turn of other tank inhabitants. Anybody have a similar experience and had success just keeping the one.

Thank you

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience is it will most likely be peaceful with other species of fish. At least mine is.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am just lucky, but I have had 4 for almost 2 years with no issues. It may just be luck of the draw. I keep them in a 120 gal tank.

OP
OP
OrangeCountyReefer

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am just lucky, but I have had 4 for almost 2 years with no issues. It may just be luck of the draw. I keep them in a 120 gal tank.
It was all good the first night and then it was aweful after that. The one got so aggressive, it was attacking the other 2 none stop. Killed one and tore the side up of the other.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience you need to keep a bunch of chromis, or one.

I have 11 in my DT for a couple years. A few have been replaced over the years, so they vary in size from 4 year old giants, to 1 inch little guys. they have the regular shoaling behavior, which some might view as “aggressive”, but it’s normal. More fish more dispersion of the “aggression “. They mostly interact with other chromis, the anthis in the tank do the same. Tang, wrasses, blenny, and gramma keep to themselves amongst the crowd for the most part.

the next one to be replaced is prolly gonna be the biggest one, it has a giant tumor in its head, kids renamed it taser face, looks like the character from guardians of the galaxy.

OP
OP
OrangeCountyReefer

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience you need to keep a bunch of chromis, or one.

I have 11 in my DT for a couple years. A few have been replaced over the years, so they vary in size from 4 year old giants, to 1 inch little guys. they have the regular shoaling behavior, which some might view as “aggressive”, but it’s normal. More fish more dispersion of the “aggression “. They mostly interact with other chromis, the anthis in the tank do the same. Tang, wrasses, blenny, and gramma keep to themselves amongst the crowd for the most part.

the next one to be replaced is prolly gonna be the biggest one, it has a giant tumor in its head, kids renamed it taser face, looks like the character from guardians of the galaxy.
Yea thats what I have been reading its either a lot or one. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a bad decision keeping the one because catching him again will suck. I think I will keep the one and see how it plays out

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was all good the first night and then it was aweful after that. The one got so aggressive, it was attacking the other 2 none stop. Killed one and tore the side up of the other.
Question for my own curiosity, were they all the same size or different sizes? When I received mine they were all small, and thru the time I have watched them grow to 4 different sizes. Clearly this is the pecking order which is why I asked about the size.

OP
OP
OrangeCountyReefer

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question for my own curiosity, were they all the same size or different sizes? When I received mine they were all small, and thru the time I have watched them grow to 4 different sizes. Clearly this is the pecking order which is why I asked about the size.
They were all the same size, and had been previously bought together and been QTed together as well. But as soon as they got in the MD it all changed.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were all the same size, and had been previously bought together and been QTed together as well. But as soon as they got in the MD it all changed.
Hmm, well, their just went my idea on size, lol!. I guess that shows that you can't predict how damsels react.

OP
OP
OrangeCountyReefer

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, well, their just went my idea on size, lol!. I guess that shows that you can't predict how damsels react.
You really can't, that is why I am hesitant to even keep the one. I don't want to have it start to harass the other tank inhabitants. But it seems most people say they only fight amongst the same species.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do, but if its at all possible, I would find a way to get a group as they are a beautiful fish to look at in a group. Most people think they area schooling fish and they are not, they are a shoaling fish.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 4 blue/green chromis. I plan on upgrading to a 225 gal tank in the winter and I will attempt to add 3 to 4 blue chromis to the mix.

OP
OP
OrangeCountyReefer

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do, but if its at all possible, I would find a way to get a group as they are a beautiful fish to look at in a group. Most people think they area schooling fish and they are not, they are a shoaling fish.
After seeing the extreme display of aggression this past week I can't imagine putting a group of them back in my tank. It was aweful to watch one relentlessly attacking the others.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started with 4. Only one left. Renamed him Duncan McLeod. There can only be one. (Stole it from someone else here)

AlexAbel197

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never had a green chromis show aggression unless they were super old and breeding

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 blue green in my 120 9 months now.
My convict tang keeps them in line lol.
20200410_155140.jpg
20200410_155451.jpg

Back