Green Cloudy Water

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'd do 40% water change and drop on an airstone to reduce stress on your fish.

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphates are really high, not just a little high. Also, your nitrates are really low. There is definitely an imbalance there. I wouldn't worry about the sg very much, just don't let it get higher.

Have you had the TDS of the RO water you are using tested? Do you use that water to make salt water? If not, what do you use?

How do you top off your tank? Is it an ATO, or do you just add water daily?

Like @Katrina71 said, you need to make sure your water has enough O2 in it for the fish. A bacteria bloom like that can cause the levels to go down and kill fish.

OP
OP
ALVAREZ13

ALVAREZ13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your phosphates are really high, not just a little high. Also, your nitrates are really low. There is definitely an imbalance there. I wouldn't worry about the sg very much, just don't let it get higher.

Have you had the TDS of the RO water you are using tested? Do you use that water to make salt water? If not, what do you use?

How do you top off your tank? Is it an ATO, or do you just add water daily?

Like @Katrina71 said, you need to make sure your water has enough O2 in it for the fish. A bacteria bloom like that can cause the levels to go down and kill fish.
Have you had the TDS of the RO water you are using tested? no i havent
Do you use that water to make salt water? i purchase my water at the LFS

How do you top off your tank? Is it an ATO, or do you just add water daily? daily top off with generic rodi filtered or distilled water you by at the supermarket

OP
OP
ALVAREZ13

ALVAREZ13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im leaving work now and going to the LFS. I'm going to do a 25 gallon water change and purchase the chemiPure blue. I'll post a picture of the tank tomorrow morning. thank you to everyone for your help

OP
OP
ALVAREZ13

ALVAREZ13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got home from work and I picked up the chemipure blue and took this picture. These pictures are 12 hours apart and the only thing done is the UV sterilizer. What do you guys think? I think we are making progress. I just put in the chemipure blue in and I’ll take a picture in another 12 hours.
5D21F1DD-CE95-4829-9D1B-0E61BB7E9037.jpeg

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a long break as well Nutrient export is so much better today than it used to be when trickle filters were the standard. You don't need a new piece of equipment to keep your tank clear, but you may find it worthwhile anyway Just some options: algae scrubber or algae reactor, skimmer with carbon dosing, sulfur denitrator. If you do the math on your 10gal/wk change, you will very likely find that you can save money in a year or so by putting in a means of nitrate/phosphate export so you can reduce water changes and buy an rodi so you can make your own water. These should help avoid future green water.
I've tried both an ats and carbon dosing with a skimmer. Some slight pros and cons each way, but I find both to be surprisingly effective.
Actually, my quarantine tank is green right now. All it has is a wet/dry. I did a few water changes. I decided to try peroxide dosing to knock back the green and see if some macroalgae i tossed in can take up the nutrients I'm on the 3rd day It might be working Can't be sure yet

OP
OP
ALVAREZ13

ALVAREZ13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning everyone, i think we are making good progress. I woke up this morning and things continue to improve. At this rate I believe I can have good clear water by the beginning of next week. these pictures our 12 hours apart. The top was 7 am. the middle 7 pm and the bottom 24 hours after the first picture 7 am.
IMG_3387.JPG

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s looking better! Awesome.
I would definitely do a large water change (40-50%) because UV is killing that algae/bacteria and your nutrients are gonna skyrocket even more.

I would also add a filter sock Or filter floss to the sump to catch as much algae and bacteria as I could and change sock daily for a while.

OP
OP
ALVAREZ13

ALVAREZ13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to give everyone a big thank you for all your help and support. Here is a picture of the tank this morning. 48 hours after the first picture here is the tank now. UV sterilizer 48 hours, chemiPure blue 24 hours and a 40% water change last night.
17B08F5A-43A9-4CA9-B9DF-E8F34A964573.jpeg
717453CB-1B51-45AE-BF9C-C592475703D9.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back