Green Cyano? Help please

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have been battling dinos, I now this just popped up, looks like green cyano to me, if so, how would I deal with this? Also the tank is 1 year 2 months old. There is another greenish spot somewhere else, but looks a little different. Thanks!!
IMG_0974.jpeg
IMG_0972.jpeg
IMG_0973.jpeg

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
parameters ? stable ?

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, they were until I started dosing to get my phos and nitrate up for the dinos

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Need more info...
what size tank?
current params?
full tank shots?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
just keep them #'s stable ,lets see tank...

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be busy for most of the day, also it looks really brown due to my not cleaning my glass so that diatoms populate the tank, to help with the dinos. I can get a pic after the lights have ramped up, and I am not busy, at about 4

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lots of light in that room, how are you running your lights? into late evening ?
what time they come on ,what time go off?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ok, sorry the pic is really bad, forgot how bad the glare is at this time of day
IMG_0977.jpeg
Tough pics to work with. Cyano will be matted in appearance and spread daily. First is to find cause and eliminate it.
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skim-mate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 3-5 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the 5 days, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I can’t add the snails, they will most likely die, due the Dinos, I haven’t done a water change in about 3 weeks, also due to the Dinos, I don’t think my nutrients are that high though
I followed your advice for the Dinos, been doing h202 for about a week, definitely not overstocked, 2 fish…
And dosing micro bacteria 7 currently, 15 ml per day

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what really annoys me, is these algae’s have very different solutions, and now I think I have both, do you think it is green cyano?

OP
OP
Reeflix

Reeflix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any updates? Been struggling with the same type of cyano
Yes, thankfully i did defeat both Cyano and Dinos, what i did was aggressive manual removal, i also added a UV sterilizer for the dino, and that also seemed to help. Also did things for the dinos which might have helped for the cyano as well. You can also post a thread on the cyano problem you have and others can give advice as well! Also added a powerhead on the bottom of the tank and that did wonders.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back