Green Finger Macro Algae

SamGamOcean333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some Green Finger Macro Algae yesterday and broke it up to 3 parts to put in my three tanks (hoping it lives in at least one of them). They are currently just free floating near the corner where the rock and sand meets.

Anything I have to do for these? Can they just be free floating, or do I have to attach them to something?

OP
OP
S

SamGamOcean333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is fishing line better than glue? Does it matter what part of the Codium I tie or glue to the rock?

Any other suggestions for this macro?

Joseph_Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I just burried like half an inch of its main stool end below the sand surface and it's doing pretty fine. Codium growth is slow. After 3 weeks mine seems not affected. No news good news.

OP
OP
S

SamGamOcean333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest I just burried like half an inch of its main stool end below the sand surface and it's doing pretty fine. Codium growth is slow. After 3 weeks mine seems not affected. No news good news.
Good luck to the both of us! I just cut mine up in a few pieces and glued them to rocks and placed them in different spots in my tank. One or two of them (or hopefully all) will make it long term!

Such a cool looking Macro I am surprised it is not used more often.

Joseph_Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck to the both of us! I just cut mine up in a few pieces and glued them to rocks and placed them in different spots in my tank. One or two of them (or hopefully all) will make it long term!

Such a cool looking Macro I am surprised it is not used more often.
Yes I agree. Codium is underated. But you did fine. I placed my Codiums close to rocks and I feel some of the ends are bonding with rocks.
I am starting my first tank and I noticed that diatoms grew on the sand surface everywhere but 2-3 inches around the macrolgae. The investment is already worthy!
Good Luck you too

OP
OP
S

SamGamOcean333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I agree. Codium is underated. But you did fine. I placed my Codiums close to rocks and I feel some of the ends are bonding with rocks.
I am starting my first tank and I noticed that diatoms grew on the sand surface everywhere but 2-3 inches around the macrolgae. The investment is already worthy!
Good Luck you too
Thank you! Now than I notice since adding the codium I have seen a couple green macro algae fingers popping out of random spots.

Does Codium easily reproduce and pop up in new places? Maybe just a coincidental factor with another type of macro.

Joseph_Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too early for me to answer, I have them only since 3 weeks, and since my tank is cycling (no fish or corals yet), the nutrients are low in my case (e.g. phosphate) thus their growth is invisible for me. At least they didn't decay.
I will get back to you hereafter when my tank will be more mature :)

OP
OP
S

SamGamOcean333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up today and the big Codium piece I had in my one tank got broken up to a bunch of pieces somehow dispersed all over the tank. Maybe a hermit crab or snail broke it up? Not sure what else would cause this as the Macro still seems sturdy and not melting.

Joseph_Joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woke up today and the big Codium piece I had in my one tank got broken up to a bunch of pieces somehow dispersed all over the tank. Maybe a hermit crab or snail broke it up? Not sure what else would cause this as the Macro still seems sturdy and not melting.
Sad news, but recoverable. Mine broke up fews days after arrival due to mixing pump flow, so I burried the fews pieces a little bit more deep down the sand and it never happened again.
I read that crabs like algae, that's why I am not planning to buy some at an early stage, I will wait for the codium to grow better.

OP
OP
S

SamGamOcean333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news, but recoverable. Mine broke up fews days after arrival due to mixing pump flow, so I burried the fews pieces a little bit more deep down the sand and it never happened again.
I read that crabs like algae, that's why I am not planning to buy some at an early stage, I will wait for the codium to grow better.
Hopefully ours both make it! Ill reach out again in a couple months.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back