Green Hair Algae in 55G tank

gregrobjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have 55g tank 9 months old and the last month been battling with green hair Algae and what a pain it is.
I had a refugium which bottom my nitrate and phosphate out to zero. That started the cyanobacteria or red slim took a week to get rid by putting up my nitrate and phosphate up slightly higher than zero. Now I have green hair Algae...would this product help out due to bottoming out on nitrate/phosphate and proper staved off the good bacteria, product called

Evolution Aqua PURE Reef Balance​

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have 55g tank 9 months old and the last month been battling with green hair Algae and what a pain it is.
I had a refugium which bottom my nitrate and phosphate out to zero. That started the cyanobacteria or red slim took a week to get rid by putting up my nitrate and phosphate up slightly higher than zero. Now I have green hair Algae...would this product help out due to bottoming out on nitrate/phosphate and proper staved off the good bacteria, product called

Evolution Aqua PURE Reef Balance​

Have you read the ingredient details?
The product details reads beneficial bacteria, which is vague. Instead of adding bacteria, consider feeding more and keeping nitrate > 10 ppm.

OP
OP
gregrobjones

gregrobjones

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you read the ingredient details?
The product details reads beneficial bacteria, which is vague. Instead of adding bacteria, consider feeding more and keeping nitrate > 10 ppm.
I do feed twice as much now for last month. How do you get rid of the green hair Algae?

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, that is the reason I do not have a UV or am I wrong?
UV is a tool and I own several as I have outdoor ponds.

In reef aquarium, but seldom required, I use UV for cloudy water: green water is algae bloom and off color is bacteria bloom.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feed twice as much now for last month. How do you get rid of the green hair Algae?

Diversity of macro competing for nutrients is my recommendation. When you starved your tank of nitrogen & phosphorus, you set nuisance algae in motion with Cyno then GHA. Now you have the uglies and are going thru that cycle.

As much as possible, remove GHA manually. Remove infected rocks and soak for 10 minutes in 10% solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide. Use toothbrush with undiluted hydrogen peroxide to brush off all undesirables. I use toothbrush dipped in undiluted peroxide to scrub away all undesirables including aptasia, even when rock is submerged. Refresh peroxide toothbrush ever 15 seconds.

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
see if this helps.

Green Hair Algae or "GHA" is really a broad term that covers hundreds of species of green simple filamentous algae. These species tend to be simple, fine in texture, and have few distinguishable features. True species level identification requires a microscope.

Distinguishing it from look-a-likes: GHA is not coarse or wiry, it should break apart easily when pulled, and should lose form quickly when removed from water. If you can make out a root structure, or a stiff branching structure it is probably not GHA.

Manual Removal: Green hair algae can be pulled out easily, and tooth brushed or scrubbed off the rock work. This is easier to do if the rock is outside of the tank. If it is growing from the sand sift it out with a net.

Clean Up Crew: Assorted Hermits, Blue Legs, Florida Ceriths, Chitons, Turbograzers, Sea Hares, Conchs, Emerald Crabs, Urchins and a few others. It is readily accepted by many herbivores, but because it grows quickly it may persist even in a tank with a fair amount of cleaners.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 68 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back