Green hair algae

mdbueno1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I noticed some green hair algae in a couple spots in my tank. Tank is 8 months old: Nitrates 2-3, Phosphates 0.02. Other than using my fingers to pull it while using a siphon, any other "specialized" large mouth tweezer-type tools I can use? Trying to avoid using Vibrant, chemicals, etc. Thanks

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I noticed some green hair algae in a couple spots in my tank. Tank is 8 months old: Nitrates 2-3, Phosphates 0.02. Other than using my fingers to pull it while using a siphon, any other "specialized" large mouth tweezer-type tools I can use? Trying to avoid using Vibrant, chemicals, etc. Thanks
Manually remove/siphon out, check NO3 and PO4 are in range, lessen feeding, shorten light intervals, add CUC if you don’t have and a tang or 2 depending on tank size and lawnmower blenny. Be patient. Will take time to eradicate. I also use dental pick tools to scrape and dig it out. Gave the siphon going and suck everything up and into a filter sock.

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a few patches for awhile. I started 2part dosing and after a few weeks all GHA gone. I think overall it's because my system was now more stable and the GHA was out competed for nutrients. 2part did not remove GHA ..but consistency did imo...My2cents

OP
OP
mdbueno1977

mdbueno1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manually remove/siphon out, check NO3 and PO4 are in range, lessen feeding, shorten light intervals, add CUC if you don’t have and a tang or 2 depending on tank size and lawnmower blenny. Be patient. Will take time to eradicate. I also use dental pick tools to scrape and dig it out. Gave the siphon going and suck everything up and into a filter sock.
I've heard shortening light intervals before but will that affect my corals? I've got a mixed reef: soft, LPS & SPS and they are all doing great.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard shortening light intervals before but will that affect my corals? I've got a mixed reef: soft, LPS & SPS and they are all doing great.
No. Don’t go from 8 hours to 1 but going down to 5-6 will still be OK for corals but will slow the growth of the algae. This is only temp until you get it under control.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
easiest method-
Reduce white light intensity and add clean up crew :
Snails:
turbo
nassarius
astrea
trochus
cerith

6-8 blue leg hermits

if it gets long, pull as much as you can by hand. Liquid vibrant works well also but make it a last resort.

OP
OP
mdbueno1977

mdbueno1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. Don’t go from 8 hours to 1 but going down to 5-6 will still be OK for corals but will slow the growth of the algae. This is only temp until you get it under control.
Awesome, thanks. I'll do some experimenting. Thanks

OP
OP
mdbueno1977

mdbueno1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
easiest method-
Snails:
turbo
nassarius
astrea
trochus
cerith

6-8 blue leg hermits

if it gets long, pull as much as you can by hand. Liquid vibrant works well also but make it a last resort.
Thank you. I have all of the CUC that you've mentioned and my white light is currently at 50% intensity. I do have a bottle of Vibrant, haven't used it and (as you said) only have it for a last resort. Thanks again.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you. I have all of the CUC that you've mentioned and my white light is currently at 50% intensity. I do have a bottle of Vibrant, haven't used it and (as you said) only have it for a last resort. Thanks again.
Bring the white down to 30% and blue- bump up 10%

OP
OP
mdbueno1977

mdbueno1977

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring the white down to 30% and blue- bump up 10%
Will do. I am using Red Sea lights and following their table for SPS, I already have blue at 100% and white is 50% (approx. 20,000 kelvin). But I will drop my white down.

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
easiest method-
Snails:
turbo
nassarius
astrea
trochus
cerith

6-8 blue leg hermits

I had to remove all my hermits because they would climb and gather on my sps sticks breaking off the branches. Have you ever heard of this happening?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 40 81.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back