Green hair algae

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do have an air pump on it because my fish keep passing out if I don’t have it on.

This sounds like an issue. What do you mean “pass out”?

OP
OP
A

aiden.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This I can tell is not a reef ready tank and has no sump.
Are you regularly servicing this canister unit? If you dont clean it every 2-3 weeks, you are quickly building nitrates which will feed this algae.
Additionally is the tank at or near a window?

Corallife light is literally all white and likely supporting the algae growth. How many hours a day is this light on ?
Are you using tap water from the faucet or RODI water ?
What is your phosphate level ?

Please answer questions before starting this below to find and prevent the cause.

I would place it in a container of tank water and pull off as much as you can and scrub the rest with a firm toothbrush and some 3% hydrogen peroxide.
Return to tank, reduce white light intensity and number of hours of white lighting and add some snails such as :
Astrea
cerith
turbo grazer
trochus

A Pencil urchin

8-10 Caribbean blue leg hermits
the tank light is on from 9:30am to 5:30pm
i do use rodi water

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
the tank light is on from 9:30am to 5:30pm
i do use rodi water
Reduce white light 6 hours and even turn off whites and run blue only for 1--14 days and do the steps mentioned above.
Is tank at or near a window?
What is the TDS of your RO water ? What RO unit are you using? RO or RODI ??

OP
OP
A

aiden.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reduce white light 6 hours and even turn off whites and run blue only for 1--14 days and do the steps mentioned above.
Is tank at or near a window?
What is the TDS of your RO water ? What RO unit are you using? RO or RODI ?
The tank is not near a window
I’m using an under sink reverse osmosis drinking water system by eco water system.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The tank is not near a window
I’m using an under sink reverse osmosis drinking water system by eco water system.
Test that water for phosphate and TDO and see what level it is at.

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
battling this issue is not going to be a quick fix. you will battle this for a few monhts at the least. i went through about 5 months, maybe more, of battling GHA. and that was with .02 phosphates and 15 nitrates. it is important to remember thjat whatever your reading is, is automatically lower than what it really is, because the algae is actually consuming some of it. hence why you have it to begin with. the second thing that GHA uses is light. the lower your lighting, the better. turn off any reds, whites, and even greens. shorten your photoperiod.Unless you do a blackout, lighting changes alone wont kill it.
it is important to remember that waste adds to phosphate and nitrate. it obviously includes feeding, fish excrement, and death. if GHA dies, it releases nutrients into the water, which then feeds more.
To battle my GHA, i did a few things. i kept on top of my weekly water changes. during that time, i took out rocks, and scrubbed the GHA off (this way, it doesnt die in the tank). i also dosed phyto every other day. i increased my cleanup crew. ran a refugium. i was dosing carbon as well.
out of all of that, i would say that scrubbing rock, refugium, and carbon dosing were probably the most beneficial. by scrubbing the algae, it obviously relieves the problem immediately, but if you dont do something to export nutrients, the GHA will come back just as fast. thats where a refugium helps. it grows a controllable algae or grows algae where you tell it, thus reducing it from the display. eventually, with staying with being vigilant, i had noticed that i was not going to need to continue scrubbing. i was seeing every day, patches of GHA thinning out, and eventually, it was completely gone. the most i have is just a green tint on the rocks.

the canister filter will not make it easy on you. some people refer to them as "nitrate factories". a cannister filter, unless you regularly clean it out, waste is kept in the water circulation.

OP
OP
A

aiden.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The TDS is 187 mg/l
10ppm of nitrates
Phosphate and TDO is unknown I have to get the test kit

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The TDS is 187 mg/l
10ppm of nitrates
Phosphate and TDO is unknown I have to get the test kit
thats going to be something that adds to your issue. with just water alone, you have material in the water that is contributing to the algae. you have nitrate into the water before its even added to the tank. i assume that is numbers are straight up RO water readings before adding to the tank, or adding salt mix.
if you havent changed the filtration in the RO system, it is likely the cause

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.6%
Back