OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok three doses of peroxide down. And although it doesn't look any different I'm starting to get a lil hair in my sump. Plus it's not getting any longer. Also a saw a piece that looked loose so I grabbed it and it came right off of the rock. And for everyone who thinks this will kill ur shrimp or anything as of right now my skunk is still fine. Hopefully he will be for the whole experiment.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
Have a great night everyone.
Justin

Bbqguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following also. I tried before and was talked into changing over to Red Sea nopox which didn't do much. Added a bio pellet reactor and boosted them with Doctor Tims waste away and Microbactor 7. Which did the trick. Constant battle on some of my smaller tanks as no room for reactors

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following also. I tried before and was talked into changing over to Red Sea nopox which didn't do much. Added a bio pellet reactor and boosted them with Doctor Tims waste away and Microbactor 7. Which did the trick. Constant battle on some of my smaller tanks as no room for reactors
So u ran two reactors or mixed them in one? Also did u have to pull out the hair or did it just go away?

Bbqguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One reactor with bio pellets. Waste away will charge the bio pellets so they work sooner and better. But only start with 1/4 amount of pellets or you will have a white algae bloom. Microbactor 7 helps boost overall nitrifying bacteria.
Removed some not all

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done as much as 30 ml in a day in a 90 gallon + sump, and it didn't do anything noticeably bad. Not worse than the dinos I was fighting at the time, anyways.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm doing 40 ml two times a day and it seems to be doing something. It at least comes off the rock now. I don't know what u mean by bad either. Like tank destruction bad or algea distraction bad.

armspar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a green hair algae outbreak in my 150 reef. This happened during my fish fallow period of 3 months. No food went inside the tank and lights were 6 hours a day. I picked out the algae and it would return in a week. Phosphate was 0. It is still a mystery

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a green hair algae outbreak in my 150 reef. This happened during my fish fallow period of 3 months. No food went inside the tank and lights were 6 hours a day. I picked out the algae and it would return in a week. Phosphate was 0. It is still a mystery
No mystery about it being the worst thing ever that's why I'm trying to to figure out a safe way to get rid of it forever.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason u have Gha and no phosphates is because the Gha algae is consuming the phosphates out of your system. That is why it doesn't show up in normal tests. Triton tests will provide u with a accurate phosphate reading. Just figured I'd give you some useful info. :)

Last edited:

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that was bad the only other tank I saw as bad as this was Melev's frag tank and he was doing a video on how to get rid of it.
My problem isn't GHA it's BHA I finally got GFO going but was adding NOPOX but I hear the NOPOX helps kill cheato do miss leery about using that. Mine isn't a quarter as bad as yours

What is the PVC piece in the rock for? What does it do, it's not a return

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that was bad the only other tank I saw as bad as this was Melev's frag tank and he was doing a video on how to get rid of it.
My problem isn't GHA it's BHA I finally got GFO going but was adding NOPOX but I hear the NOPOX helps kill cheato do miss leery about using that. Mine isn't a quarter as bad as yours

What is the PVC piece in the rock for? What does it do, it's not a return
I had a frag on it . It was a home made penductor to see if it would work. So yes it technically is a return but it does nothing where it's at.

OP
OP
justingraham

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well today after waking up and rubbing the sleep out my eyes I checked on my qt fish and then my qt corals.

Then I went off to see Donald Trumps hair. Now even tho the GHA is still there the first thing I noticed was a piece of Donald's hair blowing around in the breeze of my sea swirls and then more and more pieces of hair that had disconected from the rock. Like quarter size clumps of hair floating around my tank.

Is the hair still on the rock and very ugly yes it is. But is there hope that this experiment is working? For me yes it is. It's only day three and the hair is slowly starting to loose it's grasp on the rock and or substrate.

After I was all giddy of being the first one ever to knock a clump out of Trumps hair REALITY set in.

Everyone thinks that H2O2 is bad real bad will wipe out ur tank bad. Because from high school chemistry we all know that when u add one more oxygen to another making it a molocule it instantly becomes an atom bomb and kills everything it touches.

So where is my Skunk shrimp? With all this dumping of H2O2 into my tank I should just get the cocktail sauce out now and have a $25.00 shrimp for breakfast. Then before I could even jump up off my couch because of the excitement and joy that I was going to have shrimp for breakfast he popped his head out from behind Dons Hair.

Darn hopefully the atom bomb will get him tomorrow so I can have shrimp for breakfast. Either that or I must have an atomic shrimp that eats H2O2 for breakfast and if that's the case I don't wanna eat that. Might get a stomache ache.

So as of day three everything is fine my pods are still all over my tank glass my shrimp is fine and Don's hair is slowly reseeding. I'd say so far so good.

Thanks for reading
And since u read it all the way here's some photos.
Thanks again
Justin

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back