Green Hair Algea

Motiv8rnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
New to the site and hate to start out in the Nuisance algae forum!
End of last year i had a major Green hair algae breakout in my tank, started killing off corals when it was growing on or smothering them. It got so bad nothing was working (fish, inverts, etc)to get rid of it so i ended up breaking down my whole tank, and starting fresh.
The "new" tank has been up and running for about 4 months now and am starting to see more green hair algae starting.
Currently its in some small patches but dont want it to get out of control.
Livestock is very limited - two clowns, 6 line wrasse, pink spot goby, cleaner shrimp, 40 snails, 40 hermits in this 120 display with a 40 gallon sump.
Currently running a skimmer, uv sterilizer, BRS two stage GFO/Carbon filter, i have a two fishes phosban reactor but its currently off. Kalkwasser reactor, dosing Cal, Alk, Mag, (RedSea)NoPox.
Any feedback or advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Tank parameters are;
Salinity 1.025
PH 8.07
Cal 400
Alk 8.4
Mag 1600 (i think my testing kit is off)
Phosphates 0.00
Nitrate 0.00
Temp 78.6

OP
OP
M

Motiv8rnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

May you post a pic of your problem here please?

4ca0f019a0cf5ebfcd21415a5e403dd7.jpg

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I questioned that myself and purchased a tds meter off amazon. Currently reading 4 in my RoDi holding tank

4 is very high, are you running a DI filter? Silicates I know will definitely feed an algae outbreak. Also what is your light schedule, how old is the tank, what salt mix are you using?

OP
OP
M

Motiv8rnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There are about 10-12 patches like this around the tank. Not a single snail or crab will touch the stuff.
Turned off both lights this morning, was going to let the tank sit for a couple days lights out and see if that will help. Is that a good option you think?

OP
OP
M

Motiv8rnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 is very high, are you running a DI filter? Silicates I know will definitely feed an algae outbreak. Also what is your light schedule, how old is the tank, what salt mix are you using?

I am running a BRS 5 stage (the built in meter reads 0, so I questioned it and the handheld meter reads 4). Lights are ecotech radions running at 40%, starting at 12pm, turning off at 9pm. Tanks been up and running for 4 months now (previously running for 5 years before my last outbreak.) I use read sea coral pro salt.

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a BRS 5 stage (the built in meter reads 0, so I questioned it and the handheld meter reads 4). Lights are ecotech radions running at 40%, starting at 12pm, turning off at 9pm. Tanks been up and running for 4 months now (previously running for 5 years before my last outbreak.) I use read sea coral pro salt.

Hmm that's interesting with the handheld, whens the last time you changed your GFO?

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the outbreak, I’ve been changing the GFO and Carbon almost weekly.

It seems like your're doing everything right, at 4 months the tank is still pretty new in it's cycle. The only other thing I can think of is how much ambient light is the tank getting?

OP
OP
M

Motiv8rnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like your're doing everything right, at 4 months the tank is still pretty new in it's cycle. The only other thing I can think of is how much ambient light is the tank getting?

The tank sits in my finished basement about 15 feet away from windows. Those windows never get direct sunlight.
Do you think lights out for a couple days will do anything?
I thought about adding some sea hares or fish that might be able to tackle it.

Brandon Rush

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank sits in my finished basement about 15 feet away from windows. Those windows never get direct sunlight.
Do you think lights out for a couple days will do anything?
I thought about adding some sea hares or fish that might be able to tackle it.

Even that indirect light could be doing it. If you have something to black out the window for a couple days that would be worth a shot. You have a pretty good Clean up crew so I would work on trying to tackle the thing that's fuelling it and save $$$

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along.
I have been fighting with algae issues in various stages for a long time. I only recently had it come to my attention that high TDS my be the cause. I am doing some larger water changes on my systems 40% and changing out my color change DI resign as soon as it turns brown color and my TDS starts reading 1. When the resign turns brown usually it is a sign the TDS is about 1 more or less. The hand held meter is good idea because you can check smaller concentrations of water. Example: in my storage tank water could read 0 TDS in a small container of water straight from the RODI unit it could start reading 1 or higher.
Alternatively, an ATS or chaeto in your sump may be able to out compete your algae in your display.

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with bryopsis, whilst it will feed and rapidly take over your reef with high nutrients. Sorting your water supply and ensuring there is enough nitrate consuming organisms in your reef, isn't solely enough to get rid of it.

It is therefore virtually impossible to fully eradicate unless you treat and kill it off completely.

It can be simply introduced into your aquarium by snails or coral from contaminated systems. Something to watch out for when you're at your LFS looking to buy stuff.

Have a read up on it and treatment with fluconazole, I highly recommend it.

OP
OP
M

Motiv8rnc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you getting on?

After your last response I went out an bought some Fluconazole. Started the treatment last Thursday, turned off my skimmer, carbon or gfo. So far (as of last night) it looks like it has stopped spreading, now it’s just kind of there. I’ve read treatment can take up to 10 days to see it diminishing.
I’m going to watch it until day 10 and see how it looks. Would you recommend trying to manually siphon it off the rocks around day 10 or soo? Or just let it do its thing?

Ludders

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would wait 14 days and see how things are going before making a decision. By then it should have completely broken down, but depends on how strong the dose you administered and how much is there.
You're only on day 5, so I guess by this time next week you should be seeing a significant change.

Keep us updated, I am interested in how you're getting on with it and feel free to ask if you have any further questions.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back