Green slime on sandbed (microscope photos included)

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently, after running vibrant for two months to knock out a bunch of bubble algae, some green slime has found its way onto my sandbed.

I assumed it was the beginnings of cyano, but my understanding is that cyano is typical for low nutrient systems. My PO4 is typically 0.08 - 0.1, and my NO3 is typically 15-20ppm. I have been nopox dosing to bring these numbers down.

Note that I have also been dosing phyto daily, and under the microscope, this looks suspiciously like the phyto I have been adding.

Am I farming phyto in my DT?

What it looks like on the sandbed:
1616450664663.png

What it looks like at 400x mag:
1616450619359.png

1616450642888.png

OP
OP
Arthur_Dent

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replys. Tank had amphidinium dinos before. They appeared yellow under the scope. These look green, but not at all like I would expect cyano to look.

Perhaps some other kind of dino. Whatever it is, it's motile.

It's slimy, and gives off a few bubbles, but no stringy snot strings the way the amphidinium dinos I had before gave off. I'll take some video tomorrow when the lights come on and post here.

As to the thin looking blenny, I watch him eat all day. Granted, not much algae in the tank. Fed a bunch of live brine shrimp tonight and he was munching them for a while. Have also seen him take nori occasionally. Any recommendations for blenny food other than nori?

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replys. Tank had amphidinium dinos before. They appeared yellow under the scope. These look green, but not at all like I would expect cyano to look.

Perhaps some other kind of dino. Whatever it is, it's motile.

It's slimy, and gives off a few bubbles, but no stringy snot strings the way the amphidinium dinos I had before gave off. I'll take some video tomorrow when the lights come on and post here.

As to the thin looking blenny, I watch him eat all day. Granted, not much algae in the tank. Fed a bunch of live brine shrimp tonight and he was munching them for a while. Have also seen him take nori occasionally. Any recommendations for blenny food other than nori?
If blenny is eating it probably not dinos, probably cyano or another filamentous algae.

Probably cyano or calothrix

Just vacuum it and fight it with good tank params.

Blenny's sometimes get picky, try different kinds of Nori. I think some Lawnmowers are omnivores too, but it depends.

OP
OP
Arthur_Dent

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If blenny is eating it probably not dinos, probably cyano.

Just vacuum it and fight it with good tank params.

Blenny's sometimes get picky, try different kinds of Nori. I think some Lawnmowers are omnivores too, but it depends.
I do appreciate it. I've been reading about tank params, w/regard to dealing with cyano. Do you have an opinion on ratio on N to P, or general levels for dealing with it?

Note that the tank has been fowler the last 6 months, but recently added some zoas and a favite.

Here are my params as of tonight:
PH - 8.3
78.3 f
1.025sg
Po4 - 20ppb (approximately 0.06ppm)
No3 - 20ppm
Alk 10.2
CA 475
Mg 1275

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do appreciate it. I've been reading about tank params, w/regard to dealing with cyano. Do you have an opinion on ratio on N to P, or general levels for dealing with it?

Note that the tank has been fowler the last 6 months, but recently added some zoas and a favite.

Here are my params as of tonight:
PH - 8.3
78.3 f
1.025sg
Po4 - 20ppb (approximately 0.06ppm)
No3 - 20ppm
Alk 10.2
CA 475
Mg 1275
Those params look fine, maybe bump the Mg a bit and try to drop the NO3 5-10 PPM without dropping the Po4.

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No gfo, just carbon.
Should be fine but yeah just don’t over do it!! :D or you may get worse problems than Cyano.

IMO just vacuuming the sand bed and waiting it out is the best bet.

I know it’s not pretty but if you keep up husbandry it’ll probably go away on it’s own in 1-2 months.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not dinos!

Ice seen some others lost pics of a type of green cellular cyano like this before. Just vacuum it out.

The vibrant probably the off your eco balance which caused the cyano to form.

OP
OP
Arthur_Dent

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not dinos!

Ice seen some others lost pics of a type of green cellular cyano like this before. Just vacuum it out.

The vibrant probably the off your eco balance which caused the cyano to form.
Thanks! After doing some reading, it definitely seems like euglena. Movement pattern fits, etc. I agree that the vibrant probably killed whatever was in the sand bed that was competing with them and caused a bloom.

At least I have no more valonia. I hope it was worth it...

Will post an update here when this is sorted. Plan is to manual vac it out at least once or twice a week for a month, monitor N and P at least weekly to avoid bottoming and bring back the amphidinium I had before, and see what that earns me.

OP
OP
Arthur_Dent

Arthur_Dent

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: light reduced to 10% (blue only), halving carbon dose (nopox), and dosing h2o2 at 1ml/10 gallons for a week at night, then MB7 dosing when lights come on and skimming wet got it under control for me very fast.

Here's an updated tank shot as of today:

3.jpg
4.jpg

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back