Green Turf Algae everywhere

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello guys !
My 110 gallons tank is suffering from a serious algae problem. I have a sump with full of chaeto in it and an oversized skimmer, but it seems like nothing can compete with this Green Turf Algae stuff. They are growing everywhere on the sand gravel. I'm thinking of spot treating with H2O2, but too afraid to use because I think that it will also affect the Refugium with Chaeto down below.
Any thing will eat these ? Urchin ?. None of my tangs are touching it, neither the snails or hermit crabs.
53764518_254803145395598_8143297902052114432_n (1).jpg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first start with siphoning out all the algae on the sand bed and manually removing some from the rocks
Maybe a 3 day black out ?

OP
OP
ZhiYung

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would first start with siphoning out all the algae on the sand bed and manually removing some from the rocks
Maybe a 3 day black out ?
the problem is, I may have to pull out all of the sand. Because anywhere that these grow, they rooted down below and stick the sand together like a piece of rock, quite hard to break off.

Zeal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem is, I may have to pull out all of the sand. Because anywhere that these grow, they rooted down below and stick the sand together like a piece of rock, quite hard to break off.
Actually have 2 specific rocks that grow this ****.

No idea WHY its just those 2 rocks.

Might let it sit out in the Miami sun for like a month to completely kill it

OP
OP
ZhiYung

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually have 2 specific rocks that grow this ****.

No idea WHY its just those 2 rocks.

Might let it sit out in the Miami sun for like a month to completely kill it
Will Sea urchin eat these ?

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to manually remove as best you can. It will take many attempts. You also need to find the source and correct it. Given the amounts this has been going on for a while and it will take quite a while to correct the problem.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing will eat that. Which is why you have plague proportion. Also it is mostly hair algae but there could also be turf algae in there too. A few options...

A. Better maintenance. Which is really keeping up with nutrients and may be difficult given just the fish I see in the picture. Because CBB need many feedings, and YT will basically eat everything before the CBB can. Which means to keep the CBB healthy your feeding a lot. Which also means the YT is eating a lot and not so interested in algae.

B. Slow method... Light your sump well, and always keep it on 24/7. Grow everything out of control down there. Limit light in your tank to 6 hours per day, no more, no less. That's the full amount that will benefit your corals anyway. More than that is only helping algae grow. Do those and regardless of nutrient levels in a couple months you'll have no algae in your display anymore.

C. Quicker method although not necessarily permanent... Pull your macro from your sump. Manually remove as much of the hair algae as you can from display. Including whatever sand comes out with it. Pull carbon/gfo and any other media, turn off skimmer. Research Fluconazole and dose that per the recommended dose (or a little extra, I did double accidentally and all sps and lps and everything else was fine). Within a couple weeks you'll be algae free. Then add macro back to your sump and go back to option A and/or B.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae is a pain but I have found that it's best to take it slow, I tried hydrogen peroxide once after watching some YouTube videos and killed all of my inverts and some fish. Don't believe what people say on YouTube, you definitely can overdose easily. I've started using a deep sand bed in my refugium and I'm growing macro algae with a 24 hour light cycle. It took several months but my nitrates and phosphates are nearly undetectable and all the algae in the tank is slowly dying off while the macro is growing like wildfire.

O'l Salty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GHA is packed with sugars. You have to physically remove it to slow reproduction. Once I removed all of the algae I could by hand I treated with Fluconazole. Within a month I was algae free but I kept removing any algae I could during that time. I've dosed up to 20ml of hydrogen peroxide. in a 40b with no negative results. I turned off all the pumps and treated clumps of GHA with a syringe and HP. You have to be very gentle and try to keep the HP on the algae. It will start bubbling. I've tried treating the tank with HP but it did absolutely no good.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up your magnesium to 1500. It won't bother anything but the GHA. Keep it up there for a month and your GHA will slowly die off.

Matyas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FLUCONAZOLE. I had the exact same algae, and it was gone after 3 weeks of Fluconazole dosing

Back