green turf algae - Fluconazole or Vibrant?

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The product does contain an organic carbon source. Ie strait bacteria food. So like vodka and vinegar use in carbon dosing , it is not an unusual reaction to see initially. Also later as the algae dies then you may see it due to elevated level of nutints and trace ammoina released as the break down in the system.

So yes. Using a bit too much is going to give you cyano.

Ther really should make that stuff blue or something. Becuse it's clear (and not scary looking)I'm sure most folks would put too much in.
The carbon dose amount is listed at 3%. I put 12.5 ml in my reefer 525 (approx 125 gallons after rock displacement and whatnot). That means twice a week I would be putting in 1/3 ml of carbon source, or a few drops. I really don't think that has an effect. It would be easy for people to overdose though. Unless you have a huge tank the little measuring cups are a bit big.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The carbon dose amount is listed at 3%. I put 12.5 ml in my reefer 525 (approx 125 gallons after rock displacement and whatnot). That means twice a week I would be putting in 1/3 ml of carbon source, or a few drops. I really don't think that has an effect. It would be easy for people to overdose though. Unless you have a huge tank the little measuring cups are a bit big.
Well, I hate the "other ingredients " on the label.
And all I can say is , when folks use it even at first before the algae dies , they get cyano sometimes.

I'm using 2.5 ml measured in a syringe once a week. I got a tiny amount of cyano. After two weeks with no wc I do have more growing in a spot the bubble alge is clearly dying (hooray!!btw).

One thing to consider in the 3% is.
That's the total % of the volume of the formula.
But what is the concentration of the carbon.
Ie
(This math is wrong just an example )
10 ml gives an alk boost of 2dk in 10 gal of water.
10ml of esv alk gives a boost of 6dkh In 10 gal of water.

So 3% of the total blend is misleading. Youd need to know the concentration. Vodka , or vinegar.

Dxv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
noticed you dose phosphorus and nitrates. someone correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that be feeding your algea problem. my also be why your phosphates and nitrates are at zero.

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from their website
95% Cultured Bacteria Blend
1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)
0.5% Vinegar
3.5% RO/DI Water

so I doubt the vinegar at any normal concentration is really doing anything in my system. Just my observation, not an argument.

noticed you dose phosphorus and nitrates. someone correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that be feeding your algea problem. my also be why your phosphates and nitrates are at zero.

yep I'm trying to get a balance going in the tank . I started with all dry rock. If I let N/P drop to 0 (which is easy to do) then the corals can't compete and look really bad. Most people in the chemistry forum try for .02 - .08 P and 5 - 10 N. I realize that by adding it I'm fueling the algae, but also allowing enough for other things to consume it. I believe that the algae is beneficial in creating an environment for other micro critters, ie bacteria, algae, pods and other life forms. I'm cutting back on the vibrant now that the turf algae is more under control, not eradicated. The cyano doesn't really bother me either. I assume its consuming something from the turf algae dying. I'm about 10 months in, and only have 3 fish in there (and one in QT). I stopped adding corals when I could see this seesaw of N/P was still going and corals would look good one week and bad he next (alk and ca are stable though).

I'm a true believer that starting the tank sterile will prevent a lot of pests, but will take a long time to mature unless you force it with live rock or other sources of micro life variety. The reasons I chose vibrant is bacteria strains seem to be beneficial in aquaria (dr tims, microbacter, etc) and this seemed one way of making the tank look less fuzzy naturally.

turbo2oh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
My tank is about 8 months old and has a horrible outbreak of green turf algae. It is rooted, grows in clumps, has branches, but does not have the "feather or fern" of bryopsis. My astrea snails seem to eat it, but it grows faster than they have appetite for.

I measure alk, phosphate, and nitrate almost daily. Alk is 8.5 - 9, phosphate tends to drop to 0 and I dose seachem phosphorous to keep it at about .04 - .08 with red sea test kit. Nitrates drop and I use seachem nitrogen to keep it 4 - 6. I have biopellets (only about 1/4 c or less on 125 gallon tank) and have some macroalgaes growing in the sump. I've been phasing out the biopellets in favor of macroalgae. 5 small fish and a few corals. I do 'overfeed' since I don't have excess nitrates or phosphates.

I've been reading through the threads for both products. It seems like the Fluconazole kills bryopsis and is hit or miss with turf algae. The Vibrant claims to kill it, but several threads have people stopping use before it is gone because of cyano or other outbreaks. I do have a bit of cyano as well.

Which product is better for green turf algae?

Were you ever able to get rid of it?

MaccaPopEye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks 100% like the algae I had, only difference was for me turbos, trochus, urchins, tangs etc nothing ate it. I am pretty certain it was Derbesia algae and I really hope the majority of reefers never, ever have to experience it :eek: it thrives in low nutrients just as much as it does high and it has roots that attach it to the rock so you can pull it out and scrub the rock all you want but it will just grow back. Its got something in it that stops 99% of animals from eating it and even hydrogen peroxide also doesn't kill it.....

2 back to back doses of flucco did make it turn white and killed a lot of it but not all and it came back super fast with a vengeance. Started a dirty tank dose of Vibrant and it was dying within 4 weeks, and gone within 8 weeks. I do have a little bit of cyano now but that's only started after I kept dosing the dirty tank dose after the algae was gone - so entirely my fault. I've lowered the dose and the cyano patches have already gotten smaller. I'm going to finish off the big bottle and then will try and stop using it for a while.

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you ever able to get rid of it?
completely rid my tank of turf algae in 4-6 weeks. I still have a cyano outbreak. I'm not sure if its related. I stopped dosing for over a month and the cyano is worse, so I just started dosing again to see if it helps.

Stormhaven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same Turf three does gone .
Then came the Cyano .
Chemiclean Cyano gone .
Then came Dinos .
Four doses of Vibrant.
Dinos gone .
Tank Turf/Cyano/Dino
Free.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never notice anything different using vibrant and after a whole bottle i stop using it.

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giving this a go on my turf algae.

did you start with 1 dose and then raise to 2x?

still battling cyano?

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I used this on my turf algae, did a great job of killing that.

However I have had cyano ever since, been over a month now. Its not bad at all anymore and I think it will be gone in a couple weeks but just a heads up on what happened to me. It did not affect any of my corals, either did the cyano but I did turkey baster it about everyday.

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used this on my turf algae, did a great job of killing that.

However I have had cyano ever since, been over a month now. Its not bad at all anymore and I think it will be gone in a couple weeks but just a heads up on what happened to me. It did not affect any of my corals, either did the cyano but I did turkey baster it about everyday.
Dosed 1 or 2x a week?

And thanks for the info. Seems a lot of people develope cyano afterwards.. but seems it’s all part of the cycle.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dosed 1 or 2x a week?

And thanks for the info. Seems a lot of people develope cyano afterwards.. but seems it’s all part of the cycle.

I actually used fluc and not vibrant, so I do not know much about vibrant. I did not realize that was what you were talking about, sorry!

Tyreef2016

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
completely rid my tank of turf algae in 4-6 weeks. I still have a cyano outbreak. I'm not sure if its related. I stopped dosing for over a month and the cyano is worse, so I just started dosing again to see if it helps.
did you use vibrant? at 2x a week?

Crackem

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use both vibrant and fluconazole or did you discontinue the vibrant when you started dosing fluconazole?

Also what is the treatment protocol for dosing fluconazole? My instructions say 1 pill for every 10 gallons for five days in a row. Is that correct? How do you add it? Just mix in some rodi water and add all at once in high flow?

So 12 pills per day for five days ? Is that correct? I only bought 30 pills.

dougdog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use both vibrant and fluconazole or did you discontinue the vibrant when you started dosing fluconazole?

Also what is the treatment protocol for dosing fluconazole? My instructions say 1 pill for every 10 gallons for five days in a row. Is that correct? How do you add it? Just mix in some rodi water and add all at once in high flow?

So 12 pills per day for five days ? Is that correct? I only bought 30 pills.

No. Just add one dose of 20mg per gallon diluted in tank water. Turn carbon off, skimmer on but without the cup so you don't take any of the medication out. I took filter socks off too but nowhere tells you to do so. GFO and/or any nitrates control system you have (all the dying algae will decompose and raise nutrients). No water changes for 14 days.

Personal experience Fluconazole have not worked so far and I'm on the 14 days mark. I'm battling turf algae. I'm doing WC today and dump the remaining Fluconazole pills I have left (less than the recommended dose) just because I have left to see if a half second dose will do something but I don't have high expectations based on how it performed on the first dose. I just purchased a chaeto reactor to see if it helps but my nitrates and phosphates are very low to begin with.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back