green turf algae - Fluconazole or Vibrant?

Discussion in 'Algae (including nuisance algae and bacteria)' started by spiraling, Oct 4, 2017.

1. spiraling

spiraling Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

The carbon dose amount is listed at 3%. I put 12.5 ml in my reefer 525 (approx 125 gallons after rock displacement and whatnot). That means twice a week I would be putting in 1/3 ml of carbon source, or a few drops. I really don't think that has an effect. It would be easy for people to overdose though. Unless you have a huge tank the little measuring cups are a bit big.

saltyfilmfolks likes this.

2. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Photo of the Month Award Reef Squad

Well, I hate the "other ingredients " on the label.
    And all I can say is , when folks use it even at first before the algae dies , they get cyano sometimes.

I'm using 2.5 ml measured in a syringe once a week. I got a tiny amount of cyano. After two weeks with no wc I do have more growing in a spot the bubble alge is clearly dying (hooray!!btw).

One thing to consider in the 3% is.
    That's the total % of the volume of the formula.
    But what is the concentration of the carbon.
    Ie
    (This math is wrong just an example )
    10 ml gives an alk boost of 2dk in 10 gal of water.
    10ml of esv alk gives a boost of 6dkh In 10 gal of water.

So 3% of the total blend is misleading. Youd need to know the concentration. Vodka , or vinegar.

3. spiraling

Good point. I was assuming standard vinegar.

4. Dxv

Dxv Active Member

noticed you dose phosphorus and nitrates. someone correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that be feeding your algea problem. my also be why your phosphates and nitrates are at zero.

5. spiraling

from their website
    95% Cultured Bacteria Blend
    1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)
    0.5% Vinegar
    3.5% RO/DI Water

so I doubt the vinegar at any normal concentration is really doing anything in my system. Just my observation, not an argument.

yep I'm trying to get a balance going in the tank . I started with all dry rock. If I let N/P drop to 0 (which is easy to do) then the corals can't compete and look really bad. Most people in the chemistry forum try for .02 - .08 P and 5 - 10 N. I realize that by adding it I'm fueling the algae, but also allowing enough for other things to consume it. I believe that the algae is beneficial in creating an environment for other micro critters, ie bacteria, algae, pods and other life forms. I'm cutting back on the vibrant now that the turf algae is more under control, not eradicated. The cyano doesn't really bother me either. I assume its consuming something from the turf algae dying. I'm about 10 months in, and only have 3 fish in there (and one in QT). I stopped adding corals when I could see this seesaw of N/P was still going and corals would look good one week and bad he next (alk and ca are stable though).

I'm a true believer that starting the tank sterile will prevent a lot of pests, but will take a long time to mature unless you force it with live rock or other sources of micro life variety. The reasons I chose vibrant is bacteria strains seem to be beneficial in aquaria (dr tims, microbacter, etc) and this seemed one way of making the tank look less fuzzy naturally.

Draft saved Draft deleted