green turf algae - Fluconazole or Vibrant?

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae (including bacteria)' started by spiraling, Oct 4, 2017.

1. spiraling

spiraling Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

The carbon dose amount is listed at 3%. I put 12.5 ml in my reefer 525 (approx 125 gallons after rock displacement and whatnot). That means twice a week I would be putting in 1/3 ml of carbon source, or a few drops. I really don't think that has an effect. It would be easy for people to overdose though. Unless you have a huge tank the little measuring cups are a bit big.

saltyfilmfolks likes this.

2. saltyfilmfolks

saltyfilmfolks Lights! Camera! Reef! R2R Supporter Reef Squad Leader Photo of the Month Award R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Well, I hate the "other ingredients " on the label.
    And all I can say is , when folks use it even at first before the algae dies , they get cyano sometimes.

I'm using 2.5 ml measured in a syringe once a week. I got a tiny amount of cyano. After two weeks with no wc I do have more growing in a spot the bubble alge is clearly dying (hooray!!btw).

One thing to consider in the 3% is.
    That's the total % of the volume of the formula.
    But what is the concentration of the carbon.
    Ie
    (This math is wrong just an example )
    10 ml gives an alk boost of 2dk in 10 gal of water.
    10ml of esv alk gives a boost of 6dkh In 10 gal of water.

So 3% of the total blend is misleading. Youd need to know the concentration. Vodka , or vinegar.

3. spiraling

Good point. I was assuming standard vinegar.

4. Dxv

Dxv Member

noticed you dose phosphorus and nitrates. someone correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that be feeding your algea problem. my also be why your phosphates and nitrates are at zero.

5. spiraling

from their website
    95% Cultured Bacteria Blend
    1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)
    0.5% Vinegar
    3.5% RO/DI Water

so I doubt the vinegar at any normal concentration is really doing anything in my system. Just my observation, not an argument.

yep I'm trying to get a balance going in the tank . I started with all dry rock. If I let N/P drop to 0 (which is easy to do) then the corals can't compete and look really bad. Most people in the chemistry forum try for .02 - .08 P and 5 - 10 N. I realize that by adding it I'm fueling the algae, but also allowing enough for other things to consume it. I believe that the algae is beneficial in creating an environment for other micro critters, ie bacteria, algae, pods and other life forms. I'm cutting back on the vibrant now that the turf algae is more under control, not eradicated. The cyano doesn't really bother me either. I assume its consuming something from the turf algae dying. I'm about 10 months in, and only have 3 fish in there (and one in QT). I stopped adding corals when I could see this seesaw of N/P was still going and corals would look good one week and bad he next (alk and ca are stable though).

I'm a true believer that starting the tank sterile will prevent a lot of pests, but will take a long time to mature unless you force it with live rock or other sources of micro life variety. The reasons I chose vibrant is bacteria strains seem to be beneficial in aquaria (dr tims, microbacter, etc) and this seemed one way of making the tank look less fuzzy naturally.

6. turbo2oh

turbo2oh Member

Were you ever able to get rid of it?

jsker likes this.
  7. MaccaPopEye

MaccaPopEye Well-Known Member

That looks 100% like the algae I had, only difference was for me turbos, trochus, urchins, tangs etc nothing ate it. I am pretty certain it was Derbesia algae and I really hope the majority of reefers never, ever have to experience it :eek: it thrives in low nutrients just as much as it does high and it has roots that attach it to the rock so you can pull it out and scrub the rock all you want but it will just grow back. Its got something in it that stops 99% of animals from eating it and even hydrogen peroxide also doesn't kill it.....

2 back to back doses of flucco did make it turn white and killed a lot of it but not all and it came back super fast with a vengeance. Started a dirty tank dose of Vibrant and it was dying within 4 weeks, and gone within 8 weeks. I do have a little bit of cyano now but that's only started after I kept dosing the dirty tank dose after the algae was gone - so entirely my fault. I've lowered the dose and the cyano patches have already gotten smaller. I'm going to finish off the big bottle and then will try and stop using it for a while.

8. spiraling

completely rid my tank of turf algae in 4-6 weeks. I still have a cyano outbreak. I'm not sure if its related. I stopped dosing for over a month and the cyano is worse, so I just started dosing again to see if it helps.

9. Stormhaven

Stormhaven Member

Same Turf three does gone .
    Then came the Cyano .
    Chemiclean Cyano gone .
    Then came Dinos .
    Four doses of Vibrant.
    Dinos gone .
    Tank Turf/Cyano/Dino
    Free.

spiraling and codydemmel4 like this.
  10. Stormhaven

Stormhaven Member

11. codydemmel4

codydemmel4 Valuable Member

did you have any corals and how did they do?

12. scuzy

scuzy Well-Known Member

I never notice anything different using vibrant and after a whole bottle i stop using it.

13. Stormhaven

Stormhaven Member

Sps lps all unaffected

14. Tyreef2016

Tyreef2016 Valuable Member CTARS Member Build Thread Contributor

giving this a go on my turf algae.

did you start with 1 dose and then raise to 2x?

still battling cyano?

15. codydemmel4

I used this on my turf algae, did a great job of killing that.

However I have had cyano ever since, been over a month now. Its not bad at all anymore and I think it will be gone in a couple weeks but just a heads up on what happened to me. It did not affect any of my corals, either did the cyano but I did turkey baster it about everyday.

Tyreef2016 likes this.
  16. Tyreef2016

Dosed 1 or 2x a week?

And thanks for the info. Seems a lot of people develope cyano afterwards.. but seems it’s all part of the cycle.

17. codydemmel4

I actually used fluc and not vibrant, so I do not know much about vibrant. I did not realize that was what you were talking about, sorry!

Tyreef2016 likes this.
  18. Tyreef2016

did you use vibrant? at 2x a week?

19. Crackem

Crackem Active Member

Does anyone use both vibrant and fluconazole or did you discontinue the vibrant when you started dosing fluconazole?

Also what is the treatment protocol for dosing fluconazole? My instructions say 1 pill for every 10 gallons for five days in a row. Is that correct? How do you add it? Just mix in some rodi water and add all at once in high flow?

So 12 pills per day for five days ? Is that correct? I only bought 30 pills.

20. dougdog

dougdog Active Member

No. Just add one dose of 20mg per gallon diluted in tank water. Turn carbon off, skimmer on but without the cup so you don't take any of the medication out. I took filter socks off too but nowhere tells you to do so. GFO and/or any nitrates control system you have (all the dying algae will decompose and raise nutrients). No water changes for 14 days.

Personal experience Fluconazole have not worked so far and I'm on the 14 days mark. I'm battling turf algae. I'm doing WC today and dump the remaining Fluconazole pills I have left (less than the recommended dose) just because I have left to see if a half second dose will do something but I don't have high expectations based on how it performed on the first dose. I just purchased a chaeto reactor to see if it helps but my nitrates and phosphates are very low to begin with.

Draft saved Draft deleted