green turf algae - Fluconazole or Vibrant?

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,
My tank is about 8 months old and has a horrible outbreak of green turf algae. It is rooted, grows in clumps, has branches, but does not have the "feather or fern" of bryopsis. My astrea snails seem to eat it, but it grows faster than they have appetite for.

I measure alk, phosphate, and nitrate almost daily. Alk is 8.5 - 9, phosphate tends to drop to 0 and I dose seachem phosphorous to keep it at about .04 - .08 with red sea test kit. Nitrates drop and I use seachem nitrogen to keep it 4 - 6. I have biopellets (only about 1/4 c or less on 125 gallon tank) and have some macroalgaes growing in the sump. I've been phasing out the biopellets in favor of macroalgae. 5 small fish and a few corals. I do 'overfeed' since I don't have excess nitrates or phosphates.

I've been reading through the threads for both products. It seems like the Fluconazole kills bryopsis and is hit or miss with turf algae. The Vibrant claims to kill it, but several threads have people stopping use before it is gone because of cyano or other outbreaks. I do have a bit of cyano as well.

Which product is better for green turf algae?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vibrant. Fluc will do basically nothing.
IMO , once the alge is gone stop using it.

Post up a pic and we can id it perhaps. A turf alge is just that and should come off like sod.

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post up a pic and we can id it perhaps. A turf alge is just that and should come off like sod.
It does not get long and stringy like "standard" GHA. Stays short (1/2 inch), grows on rock, sand, and frags. Kinda wiry/bristly and really hard to pull off frags like it is rooted.
20171004_135125.jpg

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if your snails are eating it but cannot keep up, the answer lies within more snails ;)
I have about 15 astrea, 20 cerith (they hide all day though), a bunch of mini cerith, a few tiny zig zag periwinkle snails, one emerald crab, and a very very fat tail spot blenny. Suggestions for more crew? I have also been thinking about a tomini tang, but it would be a couple of months (QT and all) before it could go into the tank.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 15 astrea, 20 cerith (they hide all day though), a bunch of mini cerith, a few tiny zig zag periwinkle snails, one emerald crab, and a very very fat tail spot blenny. Suggestions for more crew? I have also been thinking about a tomini tang, but it would be a couple of months (QT and all) before it could go into the tank.
With your size tank I would add about 10 more astreas, and about 10 turbo snails. The ceriths usually only get to work at night.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem and 2 urchins literally got rid of it in my 180 gallon within 2 weeks, actually probably less.

urchins are now my favorite clean up crew. just have to make sure your frags are glued down good.
I always forget about urchins. That is a great suggestion as well.

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar problem and 2 urchins literally got rid of it in my 180 gallon within 2 weeks, actually probably less.

urchins are now my favorite clean up crew. just have to make sure your frags are glued down good.
I would like to get another tuxedo. My last one perished in the tank move :(

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the pincushion ones, they are suppose to graze and do a lot more then the tuxedos
my tux stripped my last tank of coralline, which is nice :) Pincushions are a bit large for my liking.
I've sourced some local astrea, no urchins yet, and ordered Vibrant. I'll give the tank a good cleaning and get some more snails and see how that goes for the week. Thanks everyone for your replies!

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but first cyano event since starting Saltwater Tanks 21 yrs ago.
That is absolutly amazing. ;Joyful I have almost always had at least a bit in the 4 years I've been at it, and had it for a while in my freshwater too.
I don't have an LFS closer than 3 hours away. We have petco and a guy who is starting a store in his basement. I got 10 more astrea and a fighting conch. Never had the conch before and its a pretty interesting snail. Hopefully it does some cleaning on the sand for me.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my tux stripped my last tank of coralline, which is nice :) Pincushions are a bit large for my liking.
I've sourced some local astrea, no urchins yet, and ordered Vibrant. I'll give the tank a good cleaning and get some more snails and see how that goes for the week. Thanks everyone for your replies!
My friend got some minor algae and decided to nuke them with Vibrant and he ended up with tank full of Cyano so careful with that then GHA coming back and Vibrant does NOTHING.

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm week 4 on the vibrant. My turf algae is gone but I am getting cyano. I'm not thinking the is necessarily bad. There are cycles of algae I don't understand. I'm going to continue with the vibrant, only once a week, and see how it goes.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using it right now for bubble algae. Dirty tank dose from the bottle.

It seems to work slowwww. That's fine by me.

Yuki Rihwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Vibrant worker/sale man said in other thread their product contents bacteria that compete with other bacteria, and I think bacteria can evo or mutated differently in every tanks, so some tanks it work wonderful some tank just become a nightmare after dose Vibrant, some work fast some take ages to see the effectiveness. At the end of the line end users will spend their money try to find which product work with their tank...We are always on the loser side which these products :p

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like Vibrant worker/sale man said in other thread their product contents bacteria that compete with other bacteria, and I think bacteria can evo or mutated differently in every tanks, so some tanks it work wonderful some tank just become a nightmare after dose Vibrant, some work fast some take ages to see the effectiveness. At the end of the line end users will spend their money try to find which product work with their tank...We are always on the loser side which these products :p
I think a lot of folks are overdosing their tanks and not sayin it

I've seen super fast algae go away, and super bad cyano from it in threads. Sometimes almost dead corals.

I got neither. Hmmm.

I don't think it was the vibrants fault.

OP
OP
spiraling

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of folks are overdosing their tanks and not sayin it

I've seen super fast algae go away, and super bad cyano from it in threads. Sometimes almost dead corals.

I got neither. Hmmm.

I don't think it was the vibrants fault.
Is your observation that using the 2x week is linked to the cyano?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your observation that using the 2x week is linked to the cyano?
The product does contain an organic carbon source. Ie strait bacteria food. So like vodka and vinegar use in carbon dosing , it is not an unusual reaction to see initially. Also later as the algae dies then you may see it due to elevated level of nutints and trace ammoina released as the break down in the system.

So yes. Using a bit too much is going to give you cyano.

Ther really should make that stuff blue or something. Becuse it's clear (and not scary looking)I'm sure most folks would put too much in.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

• I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Other.

Back