Green unidentified objects…

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone ID this green spec on the glass? I’m still fairly new to saltwater tanks and I thought it was algae at first… but it changes location Anyone knows what this is? It’s not round but a bit “boxy” looking.
B3818616-8DE3-4B64-94FA-81AA2FF7E09E.jpeg

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEP! Just Googled it and that is what it looks like. Must have hitchhiked on some of my new coral Ugh….

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Can anyone ID this green spec on the glass? I’m still fairly new to saltwater tanks and I thought it was algae at first… but it changes location Anyone knows what this is? It’s not round but a bit “boxy” looking.
B3818616-8DE3-4B64-94FA-81AA2FF7E09E.jpeg
Appears to be an aecoel or similar flatworm. While they are not harmful as red planaria, they in numbers can smother bases of coral and block the needed light for production of zooxanthellae which is their energy source.
Removal can be accomplished by siphoning them with a 3/8" tubing into a nylon stocking and discard
OR
Add a wrasse such as Yellow coris, 6 line, lunare or malanurus OR even a springieri damsel which will eat them

With the number you have, for the next 2 weeks you will have to look for eggs and scrape off as there is likely some and would be future acoels. Eggs are really tiny

1678293158905.png

OP
OP
Miemaes

Miemaes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be an aecoel or similar flatworm. While they are not harmful as red planaria, they in numbers can smother bases of coral and block the needed light for production of zooxanthellae which is their energy source.
Removal can be accomplished by siphoning them with a 3/8" tubing into a nylon stocking and discard
OR
Add a wrasse such as Yellow coris, 6 line, lunare or malanurus OR even a springieri damsel which will eat them

With the number you have, for the next 2 weeks you will have to look for eggs and scrape off as there is likely some and would be future acoels. Eggs are really tiny

1678293158905.png
Thx so much for the info. My tank is only a 6gallon so I’m not able to add a fish. I’ve been picking them out for now with a pipette bit your method looks a lot more effective. Are their eggs laid in tiny little clusters or would they be just specs on the glass? You think my turbo snail will eat these?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back