Green water, do not know what to do

hailey1423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is just under a year old, recently water got cloudy for an unknown reason and I brushed it off and just did a water change. Next day water was vibrant green. I did another water change a couple days later but it just keeps getting greener and greener. I thought it would go away but now I cant even see the rock work or corals and I only have an 11g. I never expected this because I have never had this problem in all the months keeping this tank, and I don't know how to get rid of it. I've seen a-lot of posts saying to get a UV sterilizer, but I have a HOB filter so it wouldn't work. Please someone help.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of aeration to keep everything with enough oxygen. Find the source. Check parameters and go from there.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that small of a tank water changes are easy. Using RoDi? What changed lately?

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is just under a year old, recently water got cloudy for an unknown reason and I brushed it off and just did a water change. Next day water was vibrant green. I did another water change a couple days later but it just keeps getting greener and greener. I thought it would go away but now I cant even see the rock work or corals and I only have an 11g. I never expected this because I have never had this problem in all the months keeping this tank, and I don't know how to get rid of it. I've seen a-lot of posts saying to get a UV sterilizer, but I have a HOB filter so it wouldn't work. Please someone help.
Do you have macro Algae in the tank?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All parameters seems to be good except calcium is high at 550ppm
All parameters are good doesn't help us pinpoint. What actually are they? Have you changed anything recently? Put lotion on and stuck your hands in the tank?

OP
OP
H

hailey1423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that small of a tank water changes are easy. Using RoDi? What changed lately?
Not sure what RoDi is, only thing that changed recently was a couple weeks ago I switched from a aqua clear to a
All parameters are good doesn't help us pinpoint. What actually are they? Have you changed anything recently? Put lotion on and stuck your hands in the tank?
Phosphate is at .25ppm, calcium 550, mag 1500, ph 8.2 and alk at 9.

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got pics before green water? You sure there wasn’t macro algae on the LR?

OP
OP
H

hailey1423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got pics before green water? You sure there wasn’t macro algae on the LR?
Only pics I could find. The one picture was what it looked like when it started getting cloudy. I do remember there being grass like algae in the sand but I siphoned most of it out.

Attachments

• IMG_3147.JPG
    IMG_3147.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3149.jpg
    IMG_3149.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 36
OP
OP
H

hailey1423

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time you wake up and your tank looks messed up and you can't figure out why the first thing you should probably do is a big water change. Maybe keep some of the old water to do testing on.
I've been doing water changes often but the green wont go away and keeps getting worse. I cant even see the rocks.

TnFishwater98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ask because I’ve got a macro algae tank and when it goes sexual the whole tank goes dark green. You can’t see anything in the tank. After a good water change it starts to clear up. I’ve only experienced green water from macro algae going sexual. So if that wasn’t the cause I not sure why it would change so fast. With the macro Algae it’s usually a 24 hour deal. Nothing in tank was affected.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
wow.
First thing to do before making changes etc is to determine cause. No sense throwing things in or spending money if you cant stop what is causing this.
By chance , is your tank at or near a window??
Excess light cause the green water also known as algae bloom to form and thrive. It can be a nearby window, White light intensity very high, overfeeding or light on too long.
A clean filter = Clean tank. What filter method are you using and how are you maintaining it?
Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?

How is your water flow. If weak, dissolve organics can easily form and create outbreak.
Make sure the ammonia, nitrate and phosphate levels aren’t too high in the aquarium. If youre using API test kits, you may be getting false readings and ammonia higher than shown. Assure the water receives enough air with airstone during the bloom as blooms can consume O2.
You can also add liquid bacteria like Bacter 7 which will help digest waste.

Back