Greetings from a fish murderer. :(

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. I just got a notification asking me to introduce myself... again... Unfortunately, today is not a great day for introduction. You will be meeting me at my lowest. As of today, I am no longer a reef-keeper, but a fish murderess.

I've had a few freshwater tanks for years now, and as of last fall, decided to take my chances with saltwater. Being at my spouse-proclaimed-limit of critters/habitats in the house, I opted to try my hand at a reef tank. I spent several months researching, Googling, reading articles, downloading pdfs and guides, watching youtube videos. I compared products and checked species and coral compatibilities. I bought Marco rock and built a negative space reef scape (ish). I went slow... I added water, and live rock. I waited for the tank to cycle. Until I finally added some corals. Not many, just a few to see if I could manage them. Then invertebrates, and eventually, a fish. Then another. Slowly. A fish or two every couple weeks... And things were going well, (expect for the anemone that got sucked up and sliced to death by my powerhead...all the googling I did and I was NOT prepared for that). I went through a Goldilocks type trial and error run of protein skimmers, until I finally found one that worked well for my set up. I check my water parameters every 3 days or so. I fought with algae. I fought with slime. I lost a couple corals, but others are still doing well. But today... on this tragic day of introduction re-request... I have been defeated by velvet.

So. Yes, Hello, but also, I recommend you shun me. And this is possibly goodbye... if everything dies, I'm not sure I have the heart to continue. R.I.P. Gobstopper (Midas Blenny - Victim #1). Prayers are requested for Bonnie and Clyde (Scopas Tang and Rusty Angel) BFFs whom are currently in quarantine- but the outlook is not looking good...
Welcome to the forum! I wish you future success with your fish! :)

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sorry Bozeman, and please please understand, following your story, we all know you did your best.

At a similar stage in my hobby life, I had a temp probe slip out of the tank and killed all the fish in hospital tank I where (at that point) we were successfully treating 7 of the 10 fish infected with and was treating for treating for velvet

Poor QT'ing to start with and poor equipment maintenance to follow up.

My spouse would tell you I was through.

on further reflection came back.

It gets better - it really does

Good luck the the treatment, and let us know if we can help with that aspect.

Lo siento

youcallmenny1

The Lobster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to the club! We've all been there. We learn from our mistakes, no one is born with an inherent skill set. The best thing to do is try to understand what happened and make more informed decisions in the future. No sense in beating yourself up, just see it as opportunity for education and growth.

C_LYNN1827

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME! We all experianc reefing problems.....im currently dealing with 2 of my tangs having ich in my big tank. crossing fingers they can fight it off....so far both are eating very well still and my other tangs that have had it before so far have not got it again.
Welcome Aboard Hasan Minhaj GIF by Patriot Act

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!! :)

Sorry about your bumps in the road to saltwater reefing. Some times reefing can be frustrating, that when I take a step back and look for help. We are here for you.

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its really hard not to feel down when you're going through these things. If you continue reading our personal build threads you will see that we ALL suffer setbacks and defeats. If you're truly passionate about the hobby, don't let velvet push you away. Take the necessary steps to get things back on track the right way and just keep swimming.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! We've been there!! You've come to the right place to get help and grow in this wonderful hobby.
1.gif

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep on reefin on. Sorry for your unfortunate events. It really hits right in the feelers. Hope your future endeavors are prosperous. Welcome to r2r.

Attachments

• images (2).jpeg
    images (2).jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 19
Back