Greetings from a New Reefer

DW66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am a reefer with just enought knowledge to be dangerous, and not enough to be good at this hobby yet.

I had a 16g Mixed reef back in the mid 2000's, for many reasons I gave it up back in 2011. Always wanted to start the hobby again, and then last summer a friend who was moving across the country gave me their set up. It's a 100G display that had a simple sump. It contained about 7 RBT 'Nem's, a couple softies, some leathers and a few fish. Me being me, I decided that the simple sump and drain ( 2 3/4 bulkheads, no overflow the drains go right to the sump) aren't good enough so I upgraded the sump to a Trigger System Platinum and planned to install a Synergy Overflow. Then, I had to move.

So, instead of just moving the tank I decided that I would upgrade the tank to a used 130 I bought off of FB Marketplace, intending to install the Synergy on it and replumb it. Well, the move took longer than anticipated and I didn't have the time to get the new tank up, and cycled to move the livestock before the move, so I just moved the old tank and planned to set the new one up and transfer the animals at the new house.

Then, I talked my wife into a new Waterbox 220.6....I was debating between the WB or a new RS 750, but pulled the trigger on the WB before the wife could change her mind.

So, the New Tank will arrive this week. It will be outfitted with 2 IceCap 4K Gyres, one on each end mounted horizontally, 2 Octopulse 2's on the back wall, Hydros controls, and a Reef Octopus Varios 6 for the return pump. Still deciding on the lighting. It will be either 4 Hydra 32's, or 4 Radion G6 15's. I'm not too into sticks, so it will be a mixed reef, but primarily LPS/Softies.

Once it is set up with a 3" sandbed, and some CaribSea rocks, I will cycle it and then move the livestock. I am considering seeding the tank with some water and sand from the o;d one, but there is a flatworm issue, so I am not sure about that part.

Advice and encouragement as I go through this process, and get up to speed on what has changed over the past 10 years is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I am a reefer with just enought knowledge to be dangerous, and not enough to be good at this hobby yet.

I had a 16g Mixed reef back in the mid 2000's, for many reasons I gave it up back in 2011. Always wanted to start the hobby again, and then last summer a friend who was moving across the country gave me their set up. It's a 100G display that had a simple sump. It contained about 7 RBT 'Nem's, a couple softies, some leathers and a few fish. Me being me, I decided that the simple sump and drain ( 2 3/4 bulkheads, no overflow the drains go right to the sump) aren't good enough so I upgraded the sump to a Trigger System Platinum and planned to install a Synergy Overflow. Then, I had to move.

So, instead of just moving the tank I decided that I would upgrade the tank to a used 130 I bought off of FB Marketplace, intending to install the Synergy on it and replumb it. Well, the move took longer than anticipated and I didn't have the time to get the new tank up, and cycled to move the livestock before the move, so I just moved the old tank and planned to set the new one up and transfer the animals at the new house.

Then, I talked my wife into a new Waterbox 220.6....I was debating between the WB or a new RS 750, but pulled the trigger on the WB before the wife could change her mind.

So, the New Tank will arrive this week. It will be outfitted with 2 IceCap 4K Gyres, one on each end mounted horizontally, 2 Octopulse 2's on the back wall, Hydros controls, and a Reef Octopus Varios 6 for the return pump. Still deciding on the lighting. It will be either 4 Hydra 32's, or 4 Radion G6 15's. I'm not too into sticks, so it will be a mixed reef, but primarily LPS/Softies.

Once it is set up with a 3" sandbed, and some CaribSea rocks, I will cycle it and then move the livestock. I am considering seeding the tank with some water and sand from the o;d one, but there is a flatworm issue, so I am not sure about that part.

Advice and encouragement as I go through this process, and get up to speed on what has changed over the past 10 years is appreciated!
would not transfer anything into a new tank, and use fishless cycling. Just me

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey DW, thanks for joining and welcome to the club. Sounds like a nice Saga and you got yourself a great tank. Lighting sounds top drawer whichever direction you go. I for one think 3 inches is an inch and a half or two too thick that that’s my personal taste. Be excited to see the set up and the progression.

827705AB-17C2-4D62-8852-5752E74098F3.gif

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back