Greetings from Dominican Republic

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Forum!

Introducing myself, my name is Francisco. 21-year-old guy from Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. The past few years I have been reading a lot of information on this forum and other ones about fish keeping but never had the time to create an account and be part of this. I am currently finishing university and that gives me more time to enjoy the hobby.

I started keeping fish when I was like 8. Started with goldish, as everyone haha! then moved to cichlids and then planted tanks, never thought of reef tanks because here in DR, the hobby its just starting. I always saw the incredible videos on youtube of people having this beautiful reef tanks but for me was impossible at that time.

1 year ago someone sent me a random message saying "I know you are interested in keeping a saltwater tank, I have a friend that is selling a 30-gallon cube 3-month-old with one clownfish and one blenny, you want it?" and that's how I ended up here.

I have like 4 months now with a 60 gallon tank 36x18x20 under two Ocean Revive T247 ( ill attach some pictures.) you won't believe me if I tell everything that I have done to get some fish and some corals down here, even "importing illegally" from the states to get some pieces. But now I'm glad everything is getting established, we have like 2 stores in the whole country and they usually import everything we ask. I'm putting the effort in trying to know people who have saltwater tanks, like visiting the stores, when I can, and trying to talk to people who have interest in Saltwater tanks, and I have known a few that has beautiful tanks and that makes me happy.

WhatsApp Image 2017-09-19 at 7.10.55 PM.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2017-09-19 at 7.11.14 PM.jpeg

Thank you for taking your time reading this, you have a friend here whiling to learn!
Francisco

OP
OP
G

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to everyone!!

Welcome, how is the storms where you live?

Are there any good reefs around Punta Cana?

Well, right now where are getting ready for another category 5 hurricane that will arrive tomorrow... Last week we had Irma that went through Puerto Rico and Florida also, the light went off just for 24H. Just hoping this one doesn't get worse.

There are some protected coral reefs in punta cana, also a few projects for coral growth but never been there, the most popular reefs are located in la caleta and bayahibe, like 2h away from punta cana.

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you to everyone!!

Well, right now where are getting ready for another category 5 hurricane that will arrive tomorrow... Last week we had Irma that went through Puerto Rico and Florida also, the light went off just for 24H. Just hoping this one doesn't get worse.

There are some protected coral reefs in punta cana, also a few projects for coral growth but never been there, the most popular reefs are located in la caleta and bayahibe, like 2h away from punta cana.

What are the chances on diving one of those reefs? Do you know any ways to do so?

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

OP
OP
G

Gungo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the chances on diving one of those reefs? Do you know any ways to do so?

It's completely possible. There are a few diving centers that have professional guides, but there are people in the town that know exactly where the coral reefs are located better than any professional diver working there. It's really accessible!

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R. Hope all is well - it's been a tough couple of weeks there.

deedubz

nuttier than a squirrel turd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome. Stay safe buddy, I just read about how bad off PR and Dominica were a few hours ago

Fernando Rubin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I also live in the Dominican Republic and I understand I have been to about 3 fish stores it’s hard to find good support but have made contact with an exporter and the beach have some good resources. I an retired from the USA a starting a new build have all sorts of equipment plan to build my tank since they are hard to get . Been in the hobby for about 50 years . If interested we can pick each other’s brain or set up a club my email is [email protected]

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back