Greetings from NYC

mdylchr107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all! My name is Madi, I’m 20 years old and I’ve been really wanting to start a reef tank! I'm not in school or working so Ive got plenty of time on my hands lol. I have two freshwater tanks currently (one is cycling), and I am absolutely in love with the fish keeping hobby. I really want to expand my knowledge and venture out. Also all of the saltwater fish I’ve seen are absolutely stunning!! (No hate to my freshwater beauties tho)

I’ve been doing tons of research for set up and maintenance, but still have lots more to do. But I would like to have an accurate idea of the fish I decide to put in so I know how to lay everything out and accommodate the specific species needs. So here’s my initial question/thoughts and I’d love any feedback or advice:

I definitely have room for a 10 gallon, but I’m like 90% sure I can squeeze another 20 gal long in my apartment if I move/get rid of some things. I’ve been researching a couple different fish that I would like, but for some reason I can’t get an accurate answer for minimum tank sizes for each species. Some sources tell me 10 gals, some tell me 50+. So what could be some cool fish to either keep in a 10 or 20 gallon?

Some fish I’ve been interested in are:

Clownfish
Helfrichi firefish
Deepwater Candy Basslet
Swissguard Basslet
Pajama cardinalfish
Yellow coral goby (tbh all of the goby’s I’ve seen are adorable but I don’t remember all of the names)

Any other suggestions for a potential beginner 10 or 20 gal long?? Thanks!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!

If you can squeeze in a 20 long I would definitely do that over a 10 gallon. Doubling the water volume will really help with stability while you learn and develop a good maintenance schedule.

It will also allow you to keep a larger variety and more fish.

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y’all! My name is Madi, I’m 20 years old and I’ve been really wanting to start a reef tank! I'm not in school or working so Ive got plenty of time on my hands lol. I have two freshwater tanks currently (one is cycling), and I am absolutely in love with the fish keeping hobby. I really want to expand my knowledge and venture out. Also all of the saltwater fish I’ve seen are absolutely stunning!! (No hate to my freshwater beauties tho)

I’ve been doing tons of research for set up and maintenance, but still have lots more to do. But I would like to have an accurate idea of the fish I decide to put in so I know how to lay everything out and accommodate the specific species needs. So here’s my initial question/thoughts and I’d love any feedback or advice:

I definitely have room for a 10 gallon, but I’m like 90% sure I can squeeze another 20 gal long in my apartment if I move/get rid of some things. I’ve been researching a couple different fish that I would like, but for some reason I can’t get an accurate answer for minimum tank sizes for each species. Some sources tell me 10 gals, some tell me 50+. So what could be some cool fish to either keep in a 10 or 20 gallon?

Some fish I’ve been interested in are:

Clownfish
Helfrichi firefish
Deepwater Candy Basslet
Swissguard Basslet
Pajama cardinalfish
Yellow coral goby (tbh all of the goby’s I’ve seen are adorable but I don’t remember all of the names)

Any other suggestions for a potential beginner 10 or 20 gal long?? Thanks!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 171 67.6%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back